MFP changed my calorie requirement

Options
MFP just told me congratulations cause I've lost a total of 10 lbs since the last time I set up my settings, then offered to automatically adjust my calorie settings. I said sure why not? now my daily calorie budget is 1640 instead of 1700.. we'll see how this goes..

Any idea why it gave me less calories? Im pretty active with heavy weight training in the morning and Insanity in the evening. I don't want to stall out from not having enough fuel

Replies

• newpurple
    newpurple Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me. As you get smaller, I guess you need less just to keep ticking over. However, if you exercise etc, you need to fuel that and eat some more calories. If you are now more active generally, you may need to check that the settings mfp uses are accurate for you. For example, if initially you said you were sedentary, your calories were calculated taking this into account. If you are now active, you can change this and it may give you a few more calories. I presume this is to take into account that if you're more active, you're likely ot have more muscle, and therefore a higher BMR.
    I'm sure it's more complicated than that, and people here will be able to tell you better, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    MFP just told me congratulations cause I've lost a total of 10 lbs since the last time I set up my settings, then offered to automatically adjust my calorie settings. I said sure why not? now my daily calorie budget is 1640 instead of 1700.. we'll see how this goes..

Any idea why it gave me less calories? Im pretty active with heavy weight training in the morning and Insanity in the evening. I don't want to stall out from not having enough fuel

The less somebody weighs, the less calories they need, that's why it alters it.

However, if somebody is on 1200 calories per day, it will not get altered as MFP will not go below 1200 calories just in case anybody else is wondering why theirs did not go down.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh, the lesser the calories are needed to keep you alive. I suggest you start pumping that iron even harder. Good luck.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Your body is just not having to work as hard as it was... Make sure your activity level is set at the right place, like the above poster said! X
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ohh ok that explains it. When I bulked up to 190 I needed more calories, but now that I cut down to 180 I don't have that same caloric need. Thanks
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    This statement isn't true for everyone though!

It depends on how active you are!

If you are heavy exerciser like myself, I have found that as I lost more and more weight I increased the calories that I have been eating and for the past 8 months even though I weigh 8 kgs less I'm eating about the same amount of food as I was 8 months ago. I'm still losing by eating between 1900 - 2200 these days. My maintenance range is between 2100 - 2600 gross per day