How do you eat healthy when others in your house don't?

Options
Everything that I read about weight loss says to get rid of all of the junk in your house. What about when your family members, or roomates, don't eat healthy? How do you ignore the unhealthy foods and not give into your cravings?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It really is just a case of ignoring them. In my house (mostly because I have OCD, not for temptation reasons) my fiance and I have separate cupboards, fridge shelves and freezer drawers. I guess that makes it easier because I only take things from my own places. Maybe you can do something similar, or just put a box in the cupboard for YOUR food and only allow yourself things from that box?
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just have to force myself to stay out of the kitchen. It truely is a matter of will power. I have to cook for my 1 year old and hubby too, so I only make an amount they can eat so that I am not picking at their food. It is not easy but somehow I do it.
  • Jenny_MSW
    Jenny_MSW Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My parents live with us, although they travel most of the time... when they are home, my mother totally tries to sabotage our healthy eating habits. I try to think ahead each night as to what I want to eat the next day. Planning ahead makes it easy to not be searching around through the other options I have when she starts filling up the pantry with chips and pasta. Also since we eat dinner together, I'll suggest things that are somewhere between what she likes to eat and what we like... and always with a big salad so I have the option of eating very little of the main dish if it is high in calories and make a fruit salad for desert.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I know when in the day I am most likely to want junk food(before bed). I allow myself a single serving of that food. If having 9 cool ranch Doritos is what makes my day(after a day of healthy eating), I go for it. I remind myself this is lifestyle change, not a "diet".
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Really? I just don't eat it. I've made the decision to do this and I just don't eat the crap. Let everybody else get fat and feel blechy, go ahead. I just choose to not touch it.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Its really is very hard. I just made cinnamon rolls for all of my boys. They smell so good! lol I'll just sip my coffee with fat free half and half in it. lol
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just started this not long ago, but we're doing it as a family, so we don't have AS MUCH of that food around. There are times when I get a craving, so I have some, but instead of grabbing the bag of chips, I just grab a handful and am done. It's still hard. I'm not going to lie though ;)
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You just don't eat it. Yeah, it's hard to have temptation around, but as long as you're trying to eat healthy you're always going to encounter temptation. My fiance is trying to GAIN weight while I'm trying to lose, so there are all sorts of highly caloric foods in my house. I just don't eat them. It takes a lot of discipline, and I slip up sometimes... but it all comes down to putting forth the effort to get the results you want. Nobody said this was easy ;)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my husband is on a bulking cycle...my kids are rails..I cook FULLY LOADED for them every single day and every single meal...this morning alone i have already started on breakfast lunch and dinner b/c thats how much I need to feed 4 men..and I just eat my little protein shake in silence!! or my sweet potato or brussel sprouts by myself! even my hubs' protein shakes are out of this world..whole mile, ice cream, cookies, you name it its in there..and tyhey are DELISH!!!! I always take the last swig!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Cook healthy. If they have no other choice they'll eat. Too many choice make for picky eaters. :drinker: JMO
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I fix the foods I want and try to ignore what they are eating. When the temptation is too much I try to my portion down and try to adjust the next meal.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Whenever you crave something, have a glass of water, you might just be thirsty.

If you still have the craving, go make a healthy snack in stead. If you still crave whatever it is after that, either ignore it or have a tiny bit of whatever you're craving. 1 piece of chocolate, 1 chip, 1 slice of cheese and so on.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You just don't eat it. I have 5 sons. They are all active boys and teens. So, I keep the house stocked with healthy food and junk food. They are kids/teens...so I figure they might as well enjoy it now!! But, I just do not eat it.

Now, on Fridays or birthdays, I do splurge and enjoy the day.
  • coquette87
    Options
    Will power, mostly. Though it's really frustrating for me right being at home for a couple days with my dad who just doesn't get it. There's tons of cookies loaded with frosting, cupcakes, chips, ice cream... Even if the meals he makes are more or less healthy, the portions definitely aren't - he doesn't get that a 124lb (and trying to lose weight) woman doesn't need the same amount of food as a 170lb man. He bought me a store-made turkey sandwich at the grocery store yesterday, and can't figure out why I won't eat it (for the record, I didn't ask him to buy it, and mostly brought my own food with me when I came to visit). Huge white bread roll, tons of mayo, deli turkey meat preserved with lord knows what... No thanks! I'll pass!
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a lot of lower-calorie versions of my favorites around for emergencies...Fiber One brownies, Weight Watchers ice cream bars, Morningstar Farms corn dogs, flavored sparkling water, etc. If my husband is having a junky snack, I can have something I love that isn't quite as bad. I don't dip into my stockpile every day....but it's nice to have it when I need it. Keeps me from losing complete control.
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cook healthy. If they have no other choice they'll eat. Too many choice make for picky eaters. :drinker: JMO

I follow this too. My husband exercises a lot and can eat his favourite chocolates without putting on weight but he knows he must keep them at work on on top of the cupboard where I can't see or reach!
  • amayv
    amayv Posts: 3
    Options
    I ask myself that question all of the time. It's really hard to have to cook for yourself and cook something different for your family. As much as I try, there always seems to be a box of donuts that make it through the doors or a bag of chips. It's hard to keep the junk food away. I agree with others on here, it's really about will power. I know it becomes easier later down the line, because the further you are in with your weight loss...the less you really want to eat the junk food. I try to cook "healthy" for the whole family but sometimes what I eat isn't really "tasty" (according to my 2 year old) so, you just gotta tweek things a little :) good luck and if you have any other pointers please share because I'm sure you're not the only one riding this ship.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You don't eat it! I cook healthy for the kids but my otherhalf is not ready for getting healthy yet and seeing he is an adult its up to him what he eats. I just have to be strong
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It takes alot of willpower. If there is junk food in my house it calls my name until i go get it. If its not there, i dont crave it. Tell your family members or room mates if they must have junk food in the house to hide it in their bedroom. Out of site. Or if you are buying junk food for your husband or kids, buy something they like that you don't. Good luck