It's not even 10am and I'm over my limit on Sugars???

Options

Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I don't add sugar to my food. I only eat fruit sugars from real fruit. I don't track my sugar, carbs, fat, or sodium any more due to my dietary changes of eating whole foods and 80% plants.
  • Heather20646
    Options
    I wasn't tracking sugar then decided one day, "That might be a good idea". So I started the tracking, had my one cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer (my one weakness I still treat myself to). After the coffee and an orange I was over my sugar. My solution? Stop tracking sugar LOL.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    In the long run (for a healthy person), only the total calories count. But, if you find you are often over on your sugars, you may be getting hungrier than usual because if you are wasting calories on sugar, you won't be getting lots of food bulk for your calorie intake. It should help when you start using your sugarless product. Be careful though, sometimes low sugar = extra fat (and visa versa). :smile:
  • GraemePayne
    GraemePayne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Look at the banana - 24 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
  • hataxa1
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to look at the ingredient list and see how far down the sugar is listed. It it's one of the first three ingredients, than you're basically eating sugar with some fillers. I agree with other comments that you should really limit your intake of refined or added sugars. Even though fruit sugars are naturally occurring, it's not a bad idea to limit your intake of super sugary fruit. I found out that pineapple and grapes are super high in naturally occurring sugar, so I made an adjustment to only eat one of those fruits on a given day. That way, I can still eat my favorite fruit, but maintain my sugar intake at a manageable level.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wasn't tracking sugar then decided one day, "That might be a good idea". So I started the tracking, had my one cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer (my one weakness I still treat myself to). After the coffee and an orange I was over my sugar. My solution? Stop tracking sugar LOL.
    So far....my favorite reply! LOL I'm making the switch to sugar free, but I'm wondering now about the Silk Almond Milk - the sweetened kind. I wonder how that would be in coffee? I just can't drink it plain and my family would rather I NOT stop drinking coffee in the morning ;) LOL
  • hopefloatsup
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to look at the ingredient list and see how far down the sugar is listed. It it's one of the first three ingredients, than you're basically eating sugar with some fillers. I agree with other comments that you should really limit your intake of refined or added sugars. Even though fruit sugars are naturally occurring, it's not a bad idea to limit your intake of super sugary fruit. I found out that pineapple and grapes are super high in naturally occurring sugar, so I made an adjustment to only eat one of those fruits on a given day. That way, I can still eat my favorite fruit, but maintain my sugar intake at a manageable level.
    Thanks for that tip - I absolutely LOVE my fruits, but I guess I should do some research on them. I'm trying to jump into this full speed at once, but I find that when I do that on anything, I normally will fail. I figure baby steps are better than no steps. Fruit is better than Doritos. Walking even around the block or just pacing around the house is better than sitting. I'm slowly doing this....but I'm doing it :) Plus, I'm big on research LOL
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about naturally occurring sugars in fruits and only processe sugars. I do track my sugar. It works better for me I feel yucky with too much processed sugar.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is NO SUCH THING as "good sugar" or "bad sugar." All sugars are the same on molecular level, and your body doesn't recognize a difference between refined sucrose that you added into your coffee, or the sucrose that's naturally in an orange. It just sees sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, maltose, lactose, etc, and digests them. The source they come from doesn't matter. Sugar is sugar, and like I mentioned earlier, unless you have a metabolic condition that requires limiting sugar, it's irrelevant how much you eat.

I agree with this except the last part--I don't think it's irrelevant--I think limiting all forms of sugar will help prevent developing glucose intolerance and diabetes, and that is why I follow South Beach.

Insulin resistance and glucose intolerance are symptoms of diabetes, not the cause. Diabetes (Type 2) is actually caused by excess body fat. When you have excess body fat, some of that body fat ends up circulating through the blood stream. This fat in the blood stream is what interferes with insulin's ability to regulate blood glucose, and leads to conditions like Diabetes. This is why there are examples of people reversing Type 2 Diabetes by losing weight, as the reduction in overall body fat is a huge factor in reversing insulin resistance.

Which is why I say, as long as your caloric goals are maintained properly, and you get sufficient amounts of fat and protein in your diet, the amount of sugar you consume is irrelevant.

Now, I also want to point out, excess body fat, and dietary fat are two different things. Eating fat in your diet is a good thing, as essential fatty acids are necessary for health. Just wanted to throw that in there, as I don't want anyone to read this and think that they can cut back on excess fat by not eating fat. It's all about calories, not any one specific macro.
  • LoreyGiblin
    Options
    there's no way what you ate has put you over your sugar limit unless you're adding like 8 tablespoons of sugar to your coffee. i would double check you're sugar goal, carbs should be your highest portion. In fact, it should be split in such a way that 50% of your nutrition calories are carbs, 25% protein, & 25% fats. Being over just doesnt make sense to me, double check your settings.
  • hopefloatsup
    Options
    Here's what my goals/limits are....
    Daily Goal
    Calories = 1,280
    Carbs = 176
    Fat = 43
    Protien = 48
    Sugar = 26
    Sodium = 2,500

To me, I panicked when I saw this the first time. I realized at that point that I was probably eating 3000 calories a day quite often! Just because Sunchips say whole grain....doesn't mean they're healthy to eat half a bag LOL
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/17/the-7-laws-of-leanness.aspx?e_cid=20120217_DNL_art_1

Here's an excerpt:
    Why is limiting fructose so important for weight management and optimal health?

The reasons are numerous, but if I could make you memorize just one thing that can truly help you improve your health, it would be that eating fat does not make you fat; eating excessive fructose does! If you were to view soda with the same disdain most people give to a chunk of lard, you'd be on the right track... Ironically though, the lard would actually be more healthful for you than the soda!

Fructose simultaneously prevents weight loss and promotes fat storage, by:

* Diminishing your satiety (feelings of fullness) as it does not stimulate a rise in leptin, one of the most powerful hunger and fat storage regulators in your body. And, of course, when you're feeling hungry you tend to eat more.

Leptin resistance, just like insulin resistance, is also one of the most significant factors underlying a vast array of diseases. For example, it plays a significant if not primary role in the development of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, autoimmune diseases, reproductive disorders, and perhaps the rate of aging itself.
    * Not suppressing ghrelin (also known as "the hunger hormone"). Glucose, on the other hand, does suppress ghrelin, making you feel satiated
    * Slowly, if consumed chronically, causing insulin resistance, which hampers weight loss efforts
    * Converting directly to fat more readily than any other sugar. It is also known to raise triglycerides significantly
    * Robbing your body of micronutrients while assimilating itself for use (in the case of foods containing high fructose corn syrup. Whole fruits on the other hand does not have this particular problem as the fruit contains all these extra nutrients along with the fructose)

With all these simultaneous factors coming into play every time you consume fructose, it's easy to see why a high-fructose diet can propel you into a vicious cycle of over-eating while also being malnourished.

My recommendation is to keep your total fructose intake below 25 grams of fructose per day, if you're in good health. Most people will also benefit from limiting your fructose from fruit to 15 grams a day, and, if you need to lose weight, you likely will need to limit your total fructose consumption to 15 grams a day total, including that from fruit.
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    I go over everyday, just about everything has sugar so I try not to worry, as long as you don't have diabetes, I would'nt worry about it.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bananas have loads of sugar.

I always go over sugar, too. ALWAYS.

I eat lots of fruit, so that's why.

But, I justify it to myself like this, I don't eat a huge amount of refined sugar. I eat natural sugar that nature put into the foods that I'm eating. It's OKAY to enjoy a sweet and healthy snack, and I shouldn't sweat it.

I keep track of my sugar just because it's so surprising how much sugar is actually in things! It's crazy! :)

Don't feel bad about going over sugar.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    So far....my favorite reply! LOL I'm making the switch to sugar free, but I'm wondering now about the Silk Almond Milk - the sweetened kind. I wonder how that would be in coffee? I just can't drink it plain and my family would rather I NOT stop drinking coffee in the morning ;) LOL

Trader Joe's makes an organic soy milk that is just soy beans and water. So far it is the only one without additives, preservatives, and sugar. I lOVE it! It is very thick and creamy! I use stevia in my food which is not supposed to increase your glycemic load (or whatever it is called) as it is a plant.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ya, I could care less what MFP says on the sugar, it's set too low, I go over alot too and don't even worry bout it, remove it from ur list so u can't see it........
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    It's not even 10am and I'm over my limit on Sugars???

Not always a bad thing. :wink:
    You can change the setting under "Goals", if you'd like.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So it's not even 10am here. I've had 1 cup of coffee with some creamer (my weakness), and 1 banana. I've been up since about 5:30 this morning and have been to the ER with my kiddo who has a bad ear infection. I come home thinking, "Ok, so I only had 1 cup as opposed to normal 2-3 cups of coffee, so I'm having a banana" I'm exhausted and it was something quick to grab. But according to my numbers, I'm already 8 over on sugars. I know the creamer isn't good - I always got Fat Free, so I'm using that up before opening my Sugar Free. But REALLY? I know that I won't make it through with no more sugars today. Why does this not seem right to me?

I too tend to go over my sugars. Don't worry about counting sugar you get from fruits/veggies. As long as you're watching the kind of creamer you use and measure it out you'll be fine. I get the impression a lot of people on here don't watch their sugar but I do because I know I tend to have a sweet tooth. I mainly pay attention to where my sugar is coming from, if I see I've gone all out eating things like cookies and cake (which I don't have often at all) I make sure to limit myself. If I know the sugar is coming from my whole wheat bread,protein shake, fruits then I don't worry so much about it. My dad is a type 2 diabetic and part of the reason I keep my sugar tracked is because I don't want to over do it and follow in my dad's foot steps.

Hint: I too like creamer in my coffee, I use half and half and then use a no calorie sweetener to cut down on the amount of sugar I get from that one cup of coffee.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/17/the-7-laws-of-leanness.aspx?e_cid=20120217_DNL_art_1

Here's an excerpt:
    Why is limiting fructose so important for weight management and optimal health?

The reasons are numerous, but if I could make you memorize just one thing that can truly help you improve your health, it would be that eating fat does not make you fat; eating excessive fructose does! If you were to view soda with the same disdain most people give to a chunk of lard, you'd be on the right track... Ironically though, the lard would actually be more healthful for you than the soda!

Fructose simultaneously prevents weight loss and promotes fat storage, by:

* Diminishing your satiety (feelings of fullness) as it does not stimulate a rise in leptin, one of the most powerful hunger and fat storage regulators in your body. And, of course, when you're feeling hungry you tend to eat more.

Leptin resistance, just like insulin resistance, is also one of the most significant factors underlying a vast array of diseases. For example, it plays a significant if not primary role in the development of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, autoimmune diseases, reproductive disorders, and perhaps the rate of aging itself.
    * Not suppressing ghrelin (also known as "the hunger hormone"). Glucose, on the other hand, does suppress ghrelin, making you feel satiated
    * Slowly, if consumed chronically, causing insulin resistance, which hampers weight loss efforts
    * Converting directly to fat more readily than any other sugar. It is also known to raise triglycerides significantly
    * Robbing your body of micronutrients while assimilating itself for use (in the case of foods containing high fructose corn syrup. Whole fruits on the other hand does not have this particular problem as the fruit contains all these extra nutrients along with the fructose)

With all these simultaneous factors coming into play every time you consume fructose, it's easy to see why a high-fructose diet can propel you into a vicious cycle of over-eating while also being malnourished.

My recommendation is to keep your total fructose intake below 25 grams of fructose per day, if you're in good health. Most people will also benefit from limiting your fructose from fruit to 15 grams a day, and, if you need to lose weight, you likely will need to limit your total fructose consumption to 15 grams a day total, including that from fruit.

Mercola and his anti-fructose campaign has been soundly debunked by science. Here's some reading for you.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • hataxa1
    Options
    We usually use skim milk, but one day we were out and I tried my coffee with Almond milk (the unsweetened kind). It was actually pretty good.