Good sugar vs. bad sugar

Options
Hi everyone! Happy Saturday :)

I am sure this topic has been covered already, but I don't feel like searching through all of the boards to find an answer, so I'll just start over

Every night when I complete my food diary, I am constantly over on my sugars. I rarely eat sweets, but I do eat fruit 3-4 times a day. Usually a banana or grapefruit for breakfast, an orange or apple for a snack, and strawberries or other berries as another snack. I've always been told that the sugar in fruit isn't bad, but am I consuming too much?

All comments welcome :)

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you're remaining in a caloric deficit I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're remaining in a caloric deficit I wouldn't worry about it at all.

That's what I was thinking. I'm usually right at or sometimes under my cal intake for the day.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from, but as long as you're not diabetic you really don't need to be concerned with your sugar intake as long as it's mostly from fruit. The nutrients, fiber, etc. in fruit compensate for the sugar content, IMO.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe substitute 1/2 the fruit with some fresh Vegetables.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Happy Saturday :)

I am sure this topic has been covered already, but I don't feel like searching through all of the boards to find an answer, so I'll just start over

Every night when I complete my food diary, I am constantly over on my sugars. I rarely eat sweets, but I do eat fruit 3-4 times a day. Usually a banana or grapefruit for breakfast, an orange or apple for a snack, and strawberries or other berries as another snack. I've always been told that the sugar in fruit isn't bad, but am I consuming too much?

All comments welcome :)

Natural sugars found in fruit you should not worry about, its the refined sugar found in everything else that you worry about. Also fruit juices usually contain a ton of added sugar so they are not as healthy as just eating the fruit.
  • Jenny_MSW
    Jenny_MSW Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

The same thing is happening to me, and it all comes from eating 2 apples and a greek yogurt that has fruit in it usually. My husband (personal trainer and nutritional fanatic) is telling me to snack more on veggies if I can, but not to freak out as long as it's coming from fruit. He also said to maybe switch out one apple for a lower sugar fruit like raspberries.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    I have been trying to bring more snacky veggies to work, like carrots and celery and broccoli, but I get so tired of those lol

I couldn't believe how many sugars were in a banana though! 1/2 a banana has the same content as a snicker bar :\
  • blizzisme
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, and all of it is generally bad... Sugar from fruit won't cause the same insulin resonse or measure as high on the GI(if you care about any of that) because it is fructose, so it is processed almost entirely in the liver.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe how many sugars were in a banana though! 1/2 a banana has the same content as a snicker bar :\

A "fun size" Snickers (the little Halloween bites), not a full size Snickers bar.
  • Tiff1124
    Options

A "fun size" Snickers (the little Halloween bites), not a full size Snickers bar.

Haha..thank you for clearing that up. :)