Need some advice on weight training please

Options
I started this weight loss journey last August, down 30 lbs so far mostly from portion control, food choices and the last couple of months I started working out 6-7 times a week, however most of my workouts are cardio, I do lift weights a couple times a week but I guess you could say I am "winging it" on what I should be doing to see results. My ultimate goal would be to lose another 28 lbs putting me at 140lbs. However I do realize I may not reach my goal weight if I start a weight lifting routine but I am ok with that as long as I see my shape changing for the better :happy: I am not afraid of lifting heavy and getting bulky, I want that muscle defintion that shows my hard work! :) So I am asking for some advice on what has worked for others that have been in my postion? What routine do/did you do? How heavy do I start ? Free weights? Machines? How many reps/sets? How many days per week?...
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Arnold says it best, go back to basics - dead lifts, squats, bench

They are complex in that they train multiple muscle groups, but you need to have correct form (very important, so find someone to help you get that right)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would suggets a couple of sessions with a personal trainer if you can afford it. Also there are great books out there The New Rules of Weight lifting for women. I have an awesome book called the Women's Health Big book of excercises. I has pictures of every excercise broken down by muscle groups. It also has some great work outs in it.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I would suggets a couple of sessions with a personal trainer if you can afford it. Also there are great books out there The New Rules of Weight lifting for women. I have an awesome book called the Women's Health Big book of excercises. I has pictures of every excercise broken down by muscle groups. It also has some great work outs in it.

+1