Lemon Water in Morning

Options
I have heard that drinking a glass on water with lemon juice in the morning is suppose to be good for you - has anyone else heard this "or" do this and how much do you drink and what are the benefits to this??? Always looking for any tips!! Thanks- :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have heard this also. Interested in the answers!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It helps your liver from what I've read. I've done this daily for weeks now and don't notice a difference in weight loss at all.
  • fun4laura
    Options
    It helps with weight loss--I have read that keeping the body in an alkaline state helps people lose weight faster.  Lemons are high in fiber pectin, which helps keep one full, longer.  They also have a diuretic effect, which helps with water weight gain.
    It is supposed to wake up your liver and aid in better digestion.. Also great for yor skin and keeps cravings down... Now that you've brought it up, I can't believe I haven't gone back to drinking it first thing in the morning, but will start again tomorrow... Used to drink it all day and stopped for some reason... Also helped prevent hangovers...lol
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've also heard it is great for you1! I do this in the summer but in the winter I can't seem to stay up on it. lol.. It is nice and refreshing!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that did the 17 day diet and she said thats what they recommend.
  • emc1976
    Options
    Never heard of this but looking forward to the resposes.....
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i take 1 oz of lemon juice each morning, I dont know if it helps me or not with losing weight, but its a good source of vitamin C, and has no calories, so it cant hurt.
  • jiggly7
    jiggly7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it too. The lemon is suppose to helps flush the toxins out of your body.
    I have also heard that taking a teaspoon of cider vinegar with a glass of water first thing in the morning is really good for you as stated by Dr. Oz in his book You On A Diet.
  • tammeegirl
    tammeegirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a diet program called LA Weight Loss.....we would tell our clients if they had a night eating out, perhaps with loads of sodium unbeknownst to them, they may have a weight gain on their next weigh in. So we would recommend they heat a cup of water as you would for tea, squeeze sliced lemons into it add a lil bit of stevia or whichever sweetener you use and it acts as a diuretic to help rid of any water retention:flowerforyou: . I do this periodically as I have grown to love the taste, its like a hot lemonade.
  • Kim259
    Options
    And.....1 tsp of psyllium fiber after that....helps clean out all the 'junk' in your bowels....I have been doing this for a couple of weeks.....helps you to have better bowel movements too.....and you don't feel as bloated....Metamucil works exactly the same and you can get it in flavours.
  • Kim259
    Options
    mixed in water...forgot to add that.
  • tiakarr
    Options
    I've heard it really works, too. Now I need to go buy a lemon and try it.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a couple of books by Mark Hyman, MD. He recommends optimized liver detoxification with olive oil and lemon juice in the morning
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    It helps with weight loss--I have read that keeping the body in an alkaline state helps people lose weight faster.  Lemons are high in fiber pectin, which helps keep one full, longer.  They also have a diuretic effect, which helps with water weight gain.
    It is supposed to wake up your liver and aid in better digestion.. Also great for yor skin and keeps cravings down... Now that you've brought it up, I can't believe I haven't gone back to drinking it first thing in the morning, but will start again tomorrow... Used to drink it all day and stopped for some reason... Also helped prevent hangovers...lol
    Now why haven't you told me before about it helping "hangovers" - lol :drinker:
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    I have heard of it too. The lemon is suppose to helps flush the toxins out of your body.
    I have also heard that taking a teaspoon of cider vinegar with a glass of water first thing in the morning is really good for you as stated by Dr. Oz in his book You On A Diet.
    That si what I thought I had heard - that it is suppose to flush the toxins out - said to do it within the first 30-60 minutes of waking up!! Do you think "lemon juice" from a bottle works the same as an actual lemon??? lol :blushing:
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I love all the comments/tips!! :love:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I will try this as I've just been told my liver isn't functioning properly and I feel really poorly. Worth a try whilst its natural. My father in law says it helps his stomach as he has ibs x
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink lemon water ever morning, I just pop a slice in my water bottle and squeeze some of the juice in as well. It's very cleansing and detoxing plus I'm getting a hit of vitamin C and some hydration straight up. in winter I make it a hot lemon drink and sometimes I put a bit honey in as well :) Highly recommended. You won't believe the difference to your skin if you make this a daily habit.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I find adding a squeeze of lemon or lime juice - fresh or from a bottle - adds a bit of a flavour to the water, makes it easier to drink, is refreshing, and also it might reduce the need for really sweet stuff - sort of re-educate the taste buds? When I lived in the UK in the 70s a product called PLJ (Pure Lemon Juice) was very popular. Anyway, can't be bad for you :smile:
  • nefrettdo
    Options
    I am fairly certain that lemon juice (from the plastic lemons in the produce section) doesn't do as good a job as the regular lemons. I've seen a website on the good effects of lemon water in the morning, and it says that fresh lemons are best.