Weight training and losing weight.

Options
Many times I see posts about weight lifting and people say "I haven't really lost pounds but my pants fit better and of course I'm healthier and stronger". Is this the case for people who still have a decent amount of actual fat to lose? I am 5'6 and have a good 25-35 pounds of fat to lose (currently weight 181) and I can't see this stopping because I'm lifting. I recognize I'll gain muscle and overall health is most important to me but I also know that I have fat that clearly needs to come off. I also carry most of this fat (not all, just most) in my tummy. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• michelleck23
    Options
    Meg!!!! Your body actually burns a TON more FAT doing weight training. Cardio you initially burn more calories but weight training you burn calories for 48 HRS forward burning 3x more calories then cardio alone. When you add muscle to your body, it is like a machine and in return basically starts melting off fat. A great book I read after my first pregnancy was The Abs Diet book by the editor and chief of Mens Health. It just has a ton of informative info about everything from food to strength training.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I bought d read the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women an I'm really excited about it. I just got sad at thinking that it would take longer for the fat to burn off. I can't wait tO see what lifting will do for my body.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend adding it in and wish I had sooner. I think that it's better to lose the pounds slowly anyway. So why not firm up the foundation while they come off?
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. I would like to lose about 20 or more pounds of fat, but I have been weight lifting heavy with a trainer for 9 months. I see a huge difference in my body shape, but I've only lost 10 pounds in these past 9 months. I made a new friend here the other day, she said for her, it took about 2.5 years or so to lose the 30 pounds while lifting heavy. I had kind of already resigned myself to the fact that this was going to be a long journey, but yeah, it sucks that it may take so long. I feel your pain!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book now. It has SO MUCH good information. Come join the NROF4W group. THey help break the information even more and understand those meal plans and workouts. New Rules also has it's own forum site as well.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Number one reason to weight train while dieting is to reduce muscle loss. It's much harder to gain muscle than lose fat so treat it with respect :smile:
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Strict diet+Weightlifting (until "muscle failure") + Cardio for 1hr (not less than 40 minutes) .

As a side note, interval cardio is better than straight "cardio-bunnying"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is what's going to make the fat come off... the exercise you do really doesn't have that much impact on weight loss. Exercise is for health, not weight loss. :smile:

But when you're getting the right nutrition (more protein than MFP suggests) and strength training, you keep more of the muscle mass that you already have. It's easier to keep it than it is to lose it and try to put it back on.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is what's going to make the fat come off... the exercise you do really doesn't have that much impact on weight loss. Exercise is for health, not weight loss. :smile:

But when you're getting the right nutrition (more protein than MFP suggests) and strength training, you keep more of the muscle mass that you already have. It's easier to keep it than it is to lose it and try to put it back on.

That sounds abit discouraging. It is easier to regain muscle after losing it than it is to gain more hypertrophy.
    To avoid muscle loss you need to eat enough protein though. Vegetable diet is for sure going to make people weaker in terms of muscle size.

Also resistance training tend to reduce risks for developing diabetes for people who are prone to it.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

That sounds abit discouraging. It is easier to regain muscle after losing it than it is to gain more hypertrophy.
    To avoid muscle loss you need to eat enough protein though. Vegetable diet is for sure going to make people weaker in terms of muscle size.

Also resistance training tend to reduce risks for developing diabetes for people who are prone to it.

I think what she was saying is: why avoid lifting while you lose, then plan to put on muscle afterwards? Much better to use that muscle, cultivate it, and allow it to stoke the metabolic fire all along. Basically, don't waste muscle as you lose the fat, and you'll be better off in the long run. Pretty sure you missed her point entirely.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of NROLFW. So glad you bought it. You are gonna get strong and lean, girl!!!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice/encouragement! I'm not new to the weight room...I'm just new again :) I guess when I was reading and it said you *might* lose 10 pounds of fat, I was kind of bummed when I clearly have a larger amount of fat to lose. It wouldn't be as bad if I were proportionately large but most of my excess weight resides in my stomach like a man. My butt, legs, arms, back, chest aren't really that big...it's just the stupid gut. It's a family thing (one side of my family holds most of their weight like this, men and women)...

I'm honestly not stressed about the number on the scale but I know this 181 pounds/size 12 isn't all muscle and I'd cry if I put a lot of effort into something to remain this size.

I did just join the NROWL4W group and look forward to getting more into it!
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have like 80+ lbs to lose. Should I stick with just cardio until I get down closer to my goal? Everyone here already seems pretty close...lol
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that about those doing strength training too. They all seem to have not that much to lose. I have 60lbs and started doing bodyrock workouts 2-3x a week along with leslie sansone videos. Her faster miles that involve jogging. I started just doing the walking videos and have moved up and feel much stronger. I've been working out for 6months now, love it. I say start now and don't underestimate bodyweight exercises. The workouts are HIIT and supposed to be very effective for fat loss. My clothes fit well and am now trying to make them fit too big.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have like 80+ lbs to lose. Should I stick with just cardio until I get down closer to my goal? Everyone here already seems pretty close...lol

Women are terrified to lift weights for fear of "bulking" or gaining weight. Regular weight training along with cardio promotes LEAN muscle mass and a healthier body. Muscle does weigh more than fat, but it is much more effective at burning fat than diet+cardio alone. Muscle burns more fat at rest, and makes your body look leaner. Remember to stretch well after each workout. Increase your protein intake with more lean meats and supplements. Decreasing your carbs to 1/2 to 2/3 the recommended 250g and eating only whole grain carbs will promote faster belly fat loss. You will reach your goal faster, feel full longer, and find the energy to keep going if you include regular weight training into your fitness routine and increase your protein intake. :smile:

As for how much - you need to be able to do 3 reps of 10-12 comfortably, but by the end of the 2nd rep, you should be feeling some burn in your muscles, and at the end of the last rep, you should be struggling a little to finish. If you aren't increase your weights.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So when you weight training while losing weight, you preserve more muscle. I found this article really interesting:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

If you lose 100% fat (which never happens but weight lifting and adequate protien intake brings us as close to this as possible), 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound of fat.

If you lose a pound, 50% muscle and 50% fat, you only need a 2050 calorie deficit, so you'd lose more than a pound w/ a 3500 deficit, but you'd lose muscle.

SO without strength training you might actually lose MORE weight, but you are losing muscle, and no one wants that (I hope). But the pure fat pound takes up more physical space than the mixed fat and muscle 1.5 (or whatever, I didn't do the math) pounds. So while the scale doesn't go down as fast your size goes down faster. Make sense?

This is how I've gained 10lbs but haven't increased in clothing size.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think Rae gave some really cool insight to that! Definitely check out her link.

That said, I know I've driven myself crazy trying to analyze all of this. Instead, I finally just put my scale away and pulled out a tape measurer and a camera to track progress. I weigh once a month out of sheer curiosity.

Our situations aren't exactly the same. I started at 150 (I'm 5' 5" for reference). I THOUGHT I had 15-20lbs to lose. I've weighed 130 and before and was very healthy/good size. Now I realize there is a difference between 15-20 and 25-30, so you may still lose some. When it was all said and done, I only lost about 5 pounds. In the first three photos, my weight is actually exactly the same.

Screenshot2011-12-13at21427PM-1.png

I'm wearing the same size (and literally the same clothes) that I wore when I was 127lbs, except now I'm 145lbs. The scale just wasn't very useful for me. But I DO get wanting a way to track progress! Measurements and photos :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the science behind it, but you will not regret weight training, and the fat will come off.

A lot of people like to say that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but for beginners, you can, and I think that's the category that a lot of women fall into.

If you want to lose fat, you will thank yourself a thousand times over if you can speed up your metabolism, and building muscle is how you do that.

I started ChaLEAN Extreme only a couple weeks ago, but I feel like I can see a difference in the way I feel and look already. I'm still losing weight, even though I am doing some heavy resistance training. My muscle definition is slowly but surely coming around, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know of too many women who have actually tried strength training and regretted it. I can think of tons of them who have been scared and never tried.

Trust me, there is nothing to be scared of. Try it for yourself. You will get healthier. It is possible for us to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. A lot of trainers say you can't do it that way, because most bodybuilders can't, but if you are new to strength training, you probably can lose fat and build muscle simultaneously. It's a sweet spot that probably will only work like that for a couple months, but if you're anything like me, you'll be so grateful you gave it a shot.
  • hannahwrnr
    Options
    Thanks! That's awesome! I am definitely going to incorporate some into my regimen! I played around with it some last week and still lost 1.5 lb, so it's looking hopeful! I am 224.5, so I know I need to lose quite a bit to be healthy, but why not work my muscles too? :)
  • hannahwrnr
    Options
    And oh my goodness thecrossfitte! You look great!