microwave popcorn question

Options
I am confused. I thought microwave popcorn would contain like 500 calories the way people say how calorie loaded it is, but according to the box and this site a bag of pop weaver extra butter microwave popcorn contains only 125-150 calories. Am i figuring something wrong?

Replies

• BSUgirl31
    Options
    I am confused. I thought microwave popcorn would contain like 500 calories the way people say how calorie loaded it is, but according to the box and this site a bag of pop weaver extra butter microwave popcorn contains only 125-150 calories. Am i figuring something wrong?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    that is per serving

each bag has usually 3.5 servings a bag
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Yea look at the serving

181273.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Look for Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop! 94% Fat Free Popcorn.

According to the label:

About 2 Servings per bag. Each serving is 120 Calories. That equates out to be 240 Calories per bag which is a LOT of popcorn! :bigsmile:
  • BSUgirl31
    Options
    the box says 30 calories for every cup...5 cups per serving...150 calories...2.5 servings...equals 375 calories! Okay so the 100 calorie bags are what i need to stick with. I knew something wasn't adding up right!
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    You need to watch how high in fat microwave popcorn is. It gets up to 17 grams of fat!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If it helps, I made the same mistake... but yes, that's per serving!

I have Orville Redenbacker's 100 calorie packs with some I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray on it... :love:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those microwave popcorn poppers from WalMart. I don't use oil in it but do add different spices (garlic, small amount of seasoned salt, etc) and it is WAY lower in calories, no fat. It takes a little bit of time to get used to popcorn without oil but I like it now. The popcorn popper was $6.99 I think.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I bought one of those microwave popcorn poppers from WalMart. I don't use oil in it but do add different spices (garlic, small amount of seasoned salt, etc) and it is WAY lower in calories, no fat. It takes a little bit of time to get used to popcorn without oil but I like it now. The popcorn popper was $6.99 I think.

I have one too and love it. I had popcorn the last couple of nights with no butter....just plain....takes getting used to! I'm going to do a search on here to see if people have posted ideas for flavouring.