5'0 Ladies- How much are you netting?

Options
I'm in a rut- and trying to decide if I should stick with net 1400 calories or up it 100-200 calories more to get out of this plateau!! I'm 128, 5'0 TALL :p and aiming for 108!

Replies

• pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How much more do you need to lose? As you get lighter your BMR goes down but I would have thought you should be still losing (slowly) at 1500. However 108 pounds seems quite low - are you sure that you won't be taking your BMI into the underweight zone?
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I am 5 ft also. I started at 135, down to 128 when I joined MFP and am aiming for 105-108-ish. I'm very close :bigsmile:

Anyhow, I am netting 1400-1600 most days. I exercise 45-60 mins 3-4 times per week, fyi.

Hope that helps.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    Options
    How much more do you need to lose? As you get lighter your BMR goes down but I would have thought you should be still losing (slowly) at 1500. However 108 pounds seems quite low - are you sure that you won't be taking your BMI into the underweight zone?

Depending on her frame,of course, 108 is not unreasonable.
  • shayamador
    Options
    By using quite a few BMI calculators, 108 was under the normal weight. I think it's because of my frame/size/height

but yes- I'm losing very VERY slowly!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

She's 5'0 tall, 108 isn't "quite low" It's a good goal.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400 for maintenance at 110 pounds. It seems low to most people, but most people are bigger than us =)

I net around 1200, most days with 60 mins exercise 4-5 times a week.

An no to the above poster, 108 is still well within the healthy range for a person of only 5'0".
  • shayamador
    Options
    We are definitely on the same boat!
    My starting weight was also 135, and finally hit 128! But, I haven't been losing since.

Are you losing slowly too? or quite consistently? It's like for 3 weeks I haven't lost at all!
  • b43kids
    Options
    I am five foot. I started exercising once I reached 146. I started MFP two days ago, once I reached 130. I am trying to get around 118 because of my body structure. I did not look healthy when I was smaller than that. However, it is hard for me to get lower than 130 right now.

I need help!
  • shayamador
    Options
    You sound like me. I am 5 ft also. I started at 135, down to 128 when I joined MFP and am aiming for 105-108-ish. I'm very close :bigsmile:

Anyhow, I am netting 1400-1600 most days. I exercise 45-60 mins 3-4 times per week, fyi.

Hope that helps.

My starting weight was also 135, and finally hit 128! But, I haven't been losing since.

Are you losing slowly too? or quite consistently? It's like for 3 weeks I haven't lost at all!
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    I lose VERY slowly at this size...only about 1 pound per MONTH. My BF percentage is dropping though, so that's something I've been calculating more.
  • shayamador
    Options
    I lose VERY slowly at this size...only about 1 pound per MONTH. My BF percentage is dropping though, so that's something I've been calculating more.

Wow, good on you to stay patient and persistent!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, lower is probably the answer, rather than higher. Given the inherent inaccuracies in food reporting and that you are already small, your caloric needs really aren't high. Using a random calculator I found, your net for maintenance should be 1559. I used my age, because I don't know yours, so it would be lower if you are older than 24. I also said it was for someone with a desk job because I don't know how active you are.

In summary, maintenance for me if I were your height and weight would be 1559. To lose 0.5 pounds a week, subtract 250. Since it's a small deficit, might want to subtract another hundred or so for reporting inaccuracies. To make it even, we'll pick 109. so 1559-109-250 = 1200.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    Options

I think this was directed at me. Yes, I have lost very, very slowly. Initially I did well, but I haven't always been very good at sticking with the program & have had my ups & downs. Plus, 2011 was incredibly stressful for me. But I just keep plugging along.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1470 to maintain 120 lbs. I am 5' tall as well.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    5'1". currently at 133 lbs and aiming for 110-115 range. When I look at my reports, it appears as though I'm netting between 1100 and 1200. I exercise between 30-40 minutes a day 6 days/week alternating between fast pace walking and Just Dance II or Wii Zumba.

I'm not sure this is working for me because I've only been at this for 2 weeks (in which I have gained 3 lbs). Going to continue down this path for another 2 weeks and then make the necessary changes.
  • shayamador
    Options
    Unfortunately, lower is probably the answer, rather than higher. Given the inherent inaccuracies in food reporting and that you are already small, your caloric needs really aren't high. Using a random calculator I found, your net for maintenance should be 1559. I used my age, because I don't know yours, so it would be lower if you are older than 24. I also said it was for someone with a desk job because I don't know how active you are.

In summary, maintenance for me if I were your height and weight would be 1559. To lose 0.5 pounds a week, subtract 250. Since it's a small deficit, might want to subtract another hundred or so for reporting inaccuracies. To make it even, we'll pick 109. so 1559-109-250 = 1200.

I should've included this information:

I'm 19 years old. I work out 6-7 days a week, and burn around 300-600 calories per workout. I also do an hour session of strength training other than that- yes I am quite sedentary because I am a student and sitting and studying is what I do most of the day.

However- I'm scared to eat less than 1300 with all the talk of starvation mode and especially since my workouts can be quite intense and since I burn a lot of calories. Initially, I did eat 1200 calories net and lost my first 5 pounds fast- and as I kept working out, I found myself getting tired and not losing weight at all.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I am 5'1 and curious about this as well:bigsmile:
  • giggitygoo
    Options

I'm 19 years old. I work out 6-7 days a week, and burn around 300-600 calories per workout. I also do an hour session of strength training other than that- yes I am quite sedentary because I am a student and sitting and studying is what I do most of the day.

However- I'm scared to eat less than 1300 with all the talk of starvation mode and especially since my workouts can be quite intense and since I burn a lot of calories. Initially, I did eat 1200 calories net and lost my first 5 pounds fast- and as I kept working out, I found myself getting tired and not losing weight at all.

It could have something to do with your protein intake. With that much exercise, your body will be craving it! I would look at your protein, carb, and sugar intakes on the weeks you were more successful compared to now. I find when I push my body really hard I want to eat lots of carbs (and usually do) but what my body really needs is a bit more protein.

****edited for typo
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm in a rut- and trying to decide if I should stick with net 1400 calories or up it 100-200 calories more to get out of this plateau!! I'm 128, 5'0 TALL :p and aiming for 108!

What about working out what maintenance is for 108, and eat at that.

It may be slow, but you'll know you can keep it up when you get there.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • shayamador
    Options

It could have something to do with your protein intake. With that much exercise, your body will be craving it! I would look at your protein, carb, and sugar intakes on the weeks you were more successful compared to now. I find when I push my body really hard I want to eat lots of carbs (and usually do) but what my body really needs is a bit more protein.

****edited for typo

I agree with you. I find most days I get so preoccupied with just meeting the calorie goal that I totally forget about my macro's. I'm sticking with the default macros of carbs/fat/protein to 55%/30%/15 but usually go over my protein intake that it's almost equal to my carb intake.