Stopped smoking

Options
Hi, I'm Sarah. I stopped smoking nearly three weeks ago and whilst I'm not really here to lose weight, I'm here to maintain my current weight. When I have stopped in the past, I have always started again as a way to stop the weight gain. This time I'm determined and I'm loving being a non smoker. I'm not struggling with constant thoughts of cigs but constant thoughts of food. My smoking has meant I have had no real appetite for 14 years and now I'm hungry all the time!

Replies

• Kath444
    Kath444 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It will be 3 years in March for me of quitting smoking. I joined so I could lose the 10 pounds I did gain.
    You can add me as a friend if you would like
  • The_new_me_76
    The_new_me_76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    well done on quitting , i tried 3 times and failed, id like to think i could stop again soon x:smile:
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. It's hard! Really hard...I'm on 5 weeks. Well done!

I curbed the hunger/food thing with drinking lots of water. Every time I felt like I needed food due to lack of smoking I drank water. That was my little trick. Also, spacing out food is really important.....I ate something every couple hours to keep my glucose levels as stabilized as possible.

If interested, I would more than happy to pm you a website I found very useful for quitting. It's free and not gimmicky at all.
  • kenzienmady3
    Options
    Congrats! I just quit 2 weeks ago! I'm having the same problem with being hungry allll the time! I've been trying to drink more and more water and doing an exercise every time I want food in place of a cigarette. I love not being a smoker anymore. I used to always quit and go back too, I'm finally deciding to never go back! I buy dark cacao chocolate and put it in the freezer so when I want something sweet, then I have that.
  • kenzienmady3
    Options
    Oh, and I gained 5 lbs. back when I quit initially, but then I lost it and then some. I'm glad it happened, because I realized what I was doing.
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking back in May 2001. I was outraged at having to pay $1.30 for a pack of cigarettes. I'm such a tightwad...LOL :blushing:

As far as the hunger thing goes, eat lots and lots of roughage (salads with raw veggies, etc) with protein. The time it takes to eat the volume of crunchy chewy goodness soothes the need for the oral satisfaction, and the protein keeps you feeling full longer. Oh, use a really flavorful salad dressing...just put some in a container on the side, and dip your fork in it before stabbing the salad goodies. And, water, lots and lots of ice water. All this does the trick for me when I'm really hungry or just want to chew on something.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking nearly two years ago now (as of mid-May). I highly recommend lots of fruits and water to keep your mind off the smoke and food! It worked really well for me, honestly; when I initially quit I dropped 30 pounds very shortly thereafter, but of course I did a lot more than just quit smoking, I also started eating right and cycling often.

Best of luck :)
  • sandy1518
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    I am quitting again tonight I have an appointment with a hypnotist at 6pm and then I am done. I am quitting in order to lose weight. I know that sounds very opposite popular belief but, if my last quit taught me anything it is I can not exercise enough to be healthy and lose weight if I smoke. My last quit was for 4+ years I went back to smoking thinking I could get away with just one. I know now I can not 1 = all as far as my addiction is concerned. Last time I quit I weighed in at 175lbs when I went back to smoking I was at 120 with abs of steel. I want that feeling again. I want to be able to do what I want on my lunch hour instead of having to waste 1/2 of it feeding my addiction. I want to have enough lung power to run a 5k again. I want the wrinkles that have come back around my mouth to disappear again. You can do this I will help all I can. I can tell you from expierence it is a lot easier for a healthy person to lose weight then it is for an unhealthy person. The few extras you may eat in the beginning can easily be burned off with a nice walk that you will have time and energy to do as a non-smoker . Keep going!!! The benifits far out weight anything else. It will be the greatest gift you ever give yourself.

Sandy... Ready to be healthy again.
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How you feeling after your appointment last night?
  • malobee
    malobee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have been smoke free (except for a few cigarettes I smoked after some bad news, though thankfully I didn't slip back into it) for nine months now. I actually was the opposite of you. I gained all of my weight as a smoker because I became sedentary when I had been very active before being a smoker. I wish you the best of luck on your quest to quit and curb your food cravings. I recommend things like tic tacs, chewing gum (not nicotine gum), or other sugar free candies to suck on. That really helped me curb cravings by taking care of the oral fixation. I chose sugar free because eating too much processed sugars will cause weight gain as well. Good luck!
  • lozzae85
    Options
    I quit the same time I joined MFP. I was so worried about putting weight on it was a major reason I didnt want to give up. I found that by focusing my energy into MFP that I have lost 6lb and am still not smoking. Weight is at a bit of a stand still at the moment but I'm just happy I didnt put on. I cant say I feel much better since giving up but food tastes and smells so much better!
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks A - my problem with sugar free is that it is causing me stomach problems. Trying water and the odd piece of gum! lots of spinning and exercise too. Thanks for posting, gives me hope!
  • Twinkletoestasha
    Twinkletoestasha Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit the same time I joined MFP. I was so worried about putting weight on it was a major reason I didnt want to give up. I found that by focusing my energy into MFP that I have lost 6lb and am still not smoking. Weight is at a bit of a stand still at the moment but I'm just happy I didnt put on. I cant say I feel much better since giving up but food tastes and smells so much better!

Same thing! Agree with the weight can be abit demorilising but worth it..definately tasting foods better.

i quit for almost a year..Day before my year anniversary I lit one up due to stres (STUPID HEAD) :grumble:

Enjoyed smoking but not worth it especially as its like £5 for packet of cigarettes. Been smoke free for 50 days!