Tandem biking

Has anyone ever used a tandem bike? My husband loves biking. He tries to do at least 20 miles three or 4 times a week. I dont like biking. I like to swim and hike. When we do bike together he rides circles around me. Will a tandem make it worse or better?

Replies

• crazy4fids1966
    crazy4fids1966 Posts: 3 Member
    Hey duck, duck!
    My daughter and I just started this weightless journey together last week and we purchased a tandem bike over the weekend. We did our first 5 mile ride last night and according to my fitness application, I burned 179 calories.
    I'm wondering if I need to cut that in half?

Not sure if you got any answers to your questions from many years ago, but maybe your questions got answered somewhere else?

Still got the bike?

Linda
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    edited August 2017
    OK, I realise that this post is a really old one but ...

I started riding a tandem with my father when I was about 12. He got it for him and my mother, and they did a lot of riding ... but once in a while he and I would go out.

Then in 2010, my husband and I borrowed a tandem from a friend when I was going through a bad time with my cycling. I was recovering from DVT and was DNF-ing half the events I went on. I had lost so much fitness and just didn't have the speed anymore. We borrowed this tandem for several months, and completed a lot of events ... and then decided to buy one of our own which we used quite a lot.

Unfortunately we've moved to a really hilly area now and can't use the tandem anymore ... but we won't be here forever and will likely use it again when we move to an area that is more conducive to tandem use. :)

Meanwhile we're both doing a lot more cycling on our singles again.