STRUGGLING to stay away from sugar!!

Options
Hey guys,

After a month of being really good the withdrawal symptoms have finally kicked in and now I'm craving evvveerryythhiinng!

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

Could do with some extra friends to keep me motivated in my time of need lol

J :smile:

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating something sour like a pickle helps get rid of sweet cravings! Or have something in moderation.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've a seriously sweet tooth! I try to make better choices rather than cut things out. If I'm having a bad day I just exercise. Add me if you want some support from a fellow sweet tooth!!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    When I'm craving sugar, I usually go for some ice cream.

Tillamook makes amazing ice cream, so does Ben and Jerry's.

I'll be dead in 50 or so years so I don't really see the reasoning in making myself miserable to avoid foods that I enjoy eating.
  • sarahmargaret12
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have a sweet tooth, I find water helps for me and gum
  • ryansgrammy
    Options
    im just starting back but in the past when i have had a craving for sugar i have kept frozen grapes in and ate a few and that seemed to help or even buy sugar free pudding and make them into pops i find that works for me good luck and i have sent a friend request to you
  • laynnuk
    Options
    Hiya, the only thing I can suggest is promise yourself you can have it in 30 minutes. By then the craving will have subsided and you'll be happy with a cup of of tea :0)
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    peel and cut up a banana put it in the freezer for a few hours. put it in your blender with just alittle fat free milk. Taste just like ben and jerrys icecream!!!
  • jayjay2312
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! X
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Do the banana ice cream thing, but add some cocoa. A good dab of peanut butter if calories allow. Yum! I've don't this with protein powder too.
  • ryansgrammy
    Options
    just found this it might be helpful as well

Makeover Key Lime Cheesecake Bars
    Posted on 02/12/2012 by gaylelynnbell
    I came across a recipe online yesterday that sounded really good and decided to do a makeover of it.

The original recipe called for Raspberry yogurt, full fat cream cheese, eggs and an oatmeal cookie crust. It made 36 bars at 120 calories each.

My makeover uses Key Lime Pie yogurt, Neufchatel cheese, Egg Beaters and a graham cracker crust. I cut it into 32 bars at 51 calories each!

KEY LIME CHEESECAKE BARS

MAKES 32

51 CALORIES, 2g FAT EACH

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray a 13" x 9" baking pan on bottom and sides.

Mix together for crust: 1-1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup Splenda for baking and 2 Tablespoons of melted 58% Imperial Margarine.

Pat crust evenly into the pan, pressing down well. Bake at 350 for about 6 minutes and remove from oven.

FILLING:

8 oz package of Neufchatel Cheese, softened to room temperature

6 oz container of Yoplait Key Lime Pie Fat Free Yogurt

1 oz bottled lime juice

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup EggBeaters (equivalent to 2 eggs)

Beat cheese and yogurt together until smooth and creamy. Add lime juice, flour and Egg Beaters. Continue beating at medium speed until smooth and well blended, scraping sides of mixing bowl a few times.

Spread mixture evenly over the pre-baked crust, covering completely. Sprinkle an additional tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs evenly over the top.

Bake on center rack of oven for 28 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and then refrigerate for 2 hours until chilled throughout.

Cut into 32 bars and enjoy!! Keep refrigerated or frozen.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth, as well. It's the exact reason I need to lose about 20 pounds. Some people would say to not deprive yourself of sweets, but allow yourself to have a little bit if that's what you want. But in my case, it's easier to avoid them altogether. My problem is not staying away from sweets. My problem is when I get a taste of something, I want more, and I don't stop eating until it's gone. So I completely avoid in order to prevent overindulging. I have heard from several people that they buy the 100 calorie (or less) cups of yogurt and put them in the freezer to eat when they want something sweet. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to very soon. It sounds very good. Also, there is a brand of chewing gum, I believe it's Xtra, that makes sugar-free gum in dessert-like flavors. It's wonderful and satisfies a sweet tooth.:wink: Good luck!
  • jayjay2312
    Options
    Those recipes sounds great, I'll definately give that a go :) Thanks for all the advice and support, really needed it!
  • vikeldridge
    Options
    Yummy! I am going to try this!!
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I really like some of the Arctic Zero flavors. It is a frozen protein treat, not a real ice cream. Coffee is good, chocolate peanut butter tastes a bit like cheap chocolate, so still tasty. Strawberry is a little odd and I haven't tried Vanilla Maple yet. It is super hard out of the freezer, but a few seconds in the microwave on low power really make it scoopable. An entire pint is 150 calories, not that you'd really eat that in one sitting. It is great on its own, even better with some fresh fruit.
    My 2nd option is an "ice cream" of frozen bananas blended with milk. I'll add vanilla, chocolate, or PB2 to mix up the flavor. It still tastes like banana but it has a very creamy texture. Just freeze some peeled bananas, then cut into slices and blend. I find a food processor or a Ninja blender work best since you aren't using that much liquid.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

After a month of being really good the withdrawal symptoms have finally kicked in and now I'm craving evvveerryythhiinng!

look up diabetic necrosis on google images. too much sugar in diet will raise insulin resistance which is DM type 2.

Quit sugar out of fear as i did!
    And i lost taste for sugar, i hate sweet things now..
  • captwww
    Options
    I know the feeling! It became even worse for me as I grew older. My solution has worked really well for me. I eat fruit for lunch. I started with two pieces with some cheese or milk for protein. Now I usually eat one. Carrots seem sweet to me now, too. I avoid sugary things like the plague. Now, after only two weeks of trying mfp, I don't have any sweet cravings at all. My cravings would be just terrible after dinner. Like I said, I have non at all now! It is a huge relief! Hope this helps :)
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

look up diabetic necrosis on google images. too much sugar in diet will raise insulin resistance which is DM type 2.

OMG, i just googled diabetic necrosis and i am officially off sugar! Whenever i want something sugary or junky, i just remembered how badly i huffed and puffed on the treadmill...craving gone!
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Nice fear mongering.

Eating sugar isn't going to give you diabetic necrosis. If that was the case, everyone who ate ice cream and pop tarts would have it. There are plenty of us out there who eat a balanced diet that includes.....<GASP>....sugar. If you exercise hard, you can use sugar as a pick-me-up to keep you going. That's a far cry from rotting flesh from diabetes.

Seriously, where do people come up with this crap......
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump