Body fat %

I've been tracking my body fat % using my measurements on an online calculator. Today I bought a healthometer scale that also gives you your body fat % and hyration %. Using the online calculator I'm at 26%, the scale said I was 36%, huge difference. Which one should I trust?

Replies

• CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    My scales give body fat %. I've worked it out using an online calculator that was recommended on here and it was pretty similar. I'm not sure I trust either particularly but it's the trend downwards (or up!) that's of interest.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    I would trust the scale as it sends electrical waves through your body to read BF. But it wont be 100%. Once you start using the scales, use them on the same day at the same time, so even if theyre abit wrong, youve got a base line to see how youre changing.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    The problem with the personal measurements method, especially if you are doing them for yourself, is that they can be highly inaccurate. When we do our own we tend to be too forgiving for ourselves. You might try getting someone else that is experienced in doing them to give you a measure and see if that is not different than doing your own.

The scales can vary a lot too. I find that three different ones all are a bit different but not by as much as you are seeing. Maybe a couple % but not 1/3 different. If you do use the scale, then use it the same way each time (i.e. time of day, amount of clothes) and watch for the trend as opposed to an absolute number.

Even the submersed body fat % test has its own variables that are just inherent to it (air in the body).
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Use the scale. Neither method is 100% accurate but once you decide on one stick with it and never look back!