Ladies doing NROL4W

Options
I'm working through NrOL4W right now and I really love the program except for how he starts you doing 15 reps. I have experienece weight lifting so I am comfortable with the lifts and just get annoyed with doing weights light enough to get 15 reps out. My question is, have any of you skipped right into heavy weights at 8 reps. If so, how were your results? Also, is there a good rationale for doing higher reps when trying to build muscle other than his "work into it" concept?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

You could totally skip to the 3 sets of 10, I'd think. I think the 15s are just for learning form. If you already know the form, you don't have to do it.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 would be a good one to ask. I'm pretty sure she skipped the high rep part. I think it would be fine, like Rae said.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My feeling was that higher reps help muscular endurance, so even though I can do 3x8 deadlifts at 105 (ok, I know it's not that much), I did drop the weight so I could complete 15 reps. And then today I did 12@105....so, I dunno.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i felt like the higher reps were not as useful, so i'd skip it if i were doing it over.

another thing i might skip? the special workout. others may disagree, but the point was lost on me to do AMRAP at a much lower weight than I had worked up to. We didn't do a "pretest" or anything so I'm not sure how it shows progress, or whatever it's supposed to do. maybe AMRAP of the current weight, or 1 rep max, those I would prefer.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I started with the high number of reps but found they were so easy so I skipped down to the 3 sets of 10 reps and kept adding my weights to that. I haven't noticed any issues with it! :)
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies!