Half-marathon tomorrow -- encouraging words, please!

Options
I have to get up at 5am and run in the cold! I was sick earlier this month and I'm behind on my training! My tummy and sinuses have been icky all day! I'm tired and I just don't wanna! What if I suck? What if I can't make it all the way? What if it is my worst race ever??!!!??

Seriously, I'm just not feeling it right now, I'd love your words of wisdom and support. Hit me! :-D

Replies

• Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No wisdom but good luck!! Hope you feel better tomorrow and rock it!
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    I wish I was ready for a half marathon! How exciting! You can do it, the crowd will help carry you through. I'm doing my first in 4 years at the end of May! I wish I was ready now. Enjoy every step. Good luck!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just do it, like Nike says. Do your best and forget the rest! I only wish I could run that far...I'm currently training for a 5K. Go for it!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have to get up at 5am and run in the cold! I was sick earlier this month and I'm behind on my training! My tummy and sinuses have been icky all day! I'm tired and I just don't wanna! What if I suck? What if I can't make it all the way? What if it is my worst race ever??!!!??

Seriously, I'm just not feeling it right now, I'd love your words of wisdom and support. Hit me! :-D

Don't you want to do this then? After all your training and aiming for this date? What will suck is if you pull-out because you are nervous. You do that and you will never know what you could have done. What a damn waste!

Just do it, will you. Ifs and buts won't get you through anything, doing what you have been training for will.

Wishing you the very best day x
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can do it, look at all the work you have done to get this far! You get out there and run your best. We will be here waiting for you at the finish line!!!!!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Follow these wise words..."run Forrest, run."

Are you running this race to be competitive and win? My guess is probably not. So does it really matter if it is your worst run, if you suck, or if you can't finish? Honestly...no.

We all have our bad days when we are training for something, and if that happens to fall on race day... Well then we keep on going.

Go out and run, maybe you will feel better. Maybe you will run farther than you thought you might be able to given the overall conditions. Push yourself to be great...you might actually just make it.

Best of luck tomorrow. Remember... It's not IMPOSSIBLE... It's I'm Possible.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I ran a half with the flu - 20 minutes slower than the same race the year before. Threw up at the finish. It was very impressive. Gives you bragging rights.

I remember it as the race I was most proud of because I finished. Go for it!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yooou caaaan doooo it!! **Think Adam Sandler -Waterboy** Good luck!!! :smile:
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    Options
    Don't worry to much. Race day adrenaline will help you forget about missing some workouts.

Good luck tomorrow! You're going to run a great race.
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that you are running a half marathon is so totally impressive, I can't even put it into words. You will be great!
  • rednblack84
    Options
    You can do it! Runs have the most amazing sideline support that will keep you going. Make a rockin' playlist and just GO!
  • crikey1987
    Options
    You'll feel so proud of yourself after you finish! It's worth it! Doooo itttttt!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's 90%mental...you can do it!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Go to bed!

And wake up early enough to get your mind right. You've got this!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    YOU. CAN. DO. IT!

One mile at a time. Enjoy the journey!

Take water from the youngest volunteer ... it just tastes better from a 4 or 5 year old. That will make your heart feel better.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    And good luck (sorry, my manners are off today) :)
  • marckilgore
    Options
    Do it - you don't want to regret not doing it later. The crowd will pull you through. Think about how awesome you are going to feel after you cross the finish line!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in December, it was cold and I wasn't sure about my conditioning due to not being able to train like I wanted to in the weeks leading up to it...but I set my heart and mind in getting out there, running the best I can and enjoying it. I set my goal in my mind and ran my race, not only finishing, but beating my goal time by 15 minutes!
    If you have done the work to get you there, rely on that and the mental strength you have to get you through it. Have no doubt that you will do great and will be proud of yourself when you are done! And if I don't see the results, let me go ahead and say GOOD JOB!
  • BKR1977
    BKR1977 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eat pasta run fasta! Go to bed!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Eat pasta run fasta! Go to bed!

:laugh: :drinker: