Heart Rate Monitor Questions

Options
Does the fitbit ultra act as a heart rate monitor? If not, what is a good heart rate monitor for the same price or less?

Since MFP deals wilth all the calories in fairly well, I really just need something that tells me an accurate calorie burn when I am exercising, since I do all my exercise at home.

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is not a heart rate monitor.. It's really a glorified pedometer that has nothing to do with heart rate.

HRM's also don't measure calories directly.. They take what information that you put in, combined with perceived effort from the heart rate and oxygen up take, and spit out a calorie estimation. Granted some estimations are better then others, but I will get there in a minute.

If you are just looking to track calories burned during exercise at home, I would suggest a basic model Polar, like the FT4. It does just the basics and tells you calories burned, max heart rate and average heart rate during the workout. From there, the models get a bit pricer depending on their features.. but I want to say the FT4 retails for around like 60 or so on amazon. They can go up in to the hundreds if you get a higher end one like the Polar FT40 or FT60.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    Thank you :)

Lucky I asked before I spent $100 on something lol!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lol, yea... that would have been bad!

I just looked up recent prices on amazon and the FT4 is starting at 60... which isn't bad. Comes in some pretty cool colors, and does the basics like I said.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lol, yea... that would have been bad!

I just looked up recent prices on amazon and the FT4 is starting at 60... which isn't bad. Comes in some pretty cool colors, and does the basics like I said.

Does this include a chest strap?
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got the FT4 last year on Amazon for 65 I think and yes, it came with a chest strap.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yep FT4 is great and you don't need any higher, I have an FT7 and the only advantage I've noticed is that it saves a larger workout history.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Love my polar FT4...I may upgrade to the FT7 for my birthday but for now the one I have is fine
  • TiaUti
    TiaUti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree that the Polar FT4 is very reliable. I have really put it to work...P90X, swimming, cycling, hiking, and lots of running. You put your age, height, etc. in and it does the rest. If you want to track calories burned during workouts, it's the ticket.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    FT60 cost me £99.99 on Ebay and I believe worth every single penny. Amazing! X
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4! LOVE it soo much! It links up with gym machines too...it's the best present I ever got myself!
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I have the ft7 and love it. Have had it for a year and a half now and have not had any complaints. I can't exercise without it! I paid $85 for it because my gym has a relationship with Polar.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I just got the polar FT4 a few days ago and I love it! I am 5'2 and always wondered how accurate the machines were... Now I know :) best purchase I ever made for working out,
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way.............love it
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and LOVE it - you can get it on bodytronics.com for $58.79 includes free shipping with promo code POPO!! Thats the BEST price around!! (fast delivery also) :drinker:
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    i LOVE my Polar! Get one!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40 (purchased for less than $100, too) and my husband has the FT7, and I will happily take my FT40 any day. Just the wrist strap being more flexible material (significantly so) makes a huge difference - I'm not cringing in pain during planks, etc., during Jillian's workouts. It also measures your oxygen uptake rather than using a calculation, so not only is it more accurate, but I can see if my overall fitness level is improving.

That said, if you don't care about improved fitness level and just want an estimation of calories burned, go with the FT4 or FT7. I just wanted more because of my biking, curiosity, and comfort.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I too have the Polar FT4, and I also love it, but I also swim, and found the FT4 wont pick up my heart rate under water,so I also got the swimovate poolmate ( purely for the pool) and it's also fantastic!..:bigsmile:
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    My husband got me the Polar FT7 for Valentine's Day. Best present he could have ever gotten me. I think the FT4 is fine, and I would have been just as excited with the FT4. It is amazing how different estimating and an accurate count is, as far a burning calories goes. The machines overestimate calories burned (the elliptical was off by around 60 calories). What I love is checking my heart rate during the work out & being able to work on staying in my target zone. Before I just went by perceived effort on my part. I feel like I get so much more from my work outs now. Totally worth the money!!!