Can I run?

Options
Hi Everyone.

I am new here, and just getting my way around. I have mild cerebal palsy which means I have one leg shorter than the other, and my hip is higher and slightly rotated on the right side. I use my elliptical trainer, and can clock up a good thirty to forty minutes no probs.

Now i am getting fitter I would like to try running, but I am worried how to go about it, and whether my achiles tendons can handle it? I had the right lengthened as a child.

Please advise me!

Erana

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.....
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I say ask your doctor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with your doctor or a sports orthopaedic doc. Maybe some kind of custom orthotic would make it easier on your joints.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Maybe ask an Orthopedist who understands mechanics of movement rather than just a general practitioner.
    where I live there is an older gentleman who competes religously in area races who seems to have the same condition as you mention. He just finished 3rd in his age group in a series of 8 5Ks.

Good luck
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV. I would strongly recommend consulting with a physician and request a consult/referral to a doctor who would specialize (orthopedic/sports orthopedic maybe?). I am pretty sure the answer will be something along the lines of "Yes, BUT ... you must take these precautions or incorporate these strength/conditioning/stretching regimes, etc."
    I can definitely see wanting to amp up the training. Good luck and hopefully proper training choices can be recommended that will help you improve performance.