Sore knee - how do I keep up with my cardio?

Options
I have been doing a fair bit of cardio the past few weeks. I do either 40 minute fast walking outside, 30 - 40 minutes on the treadmill, or 30 minutes on my elliptical. This week I have been pushing myself harder e.g. increasing the incline and speed on the treadmill and sometimes doing two sessions a day. I've also been doing the 30DS and some of the dance videos.

Yesterday morning I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and then in the evening I did 40 minutes on the treadmill with varying speeds and inclines.

Today my right knee is quite sore and I have been unable to do any of my cardio. Is there something I can use to support my knee that would allow me to continue?

FYI. I am 64 years old, 5'5", and curent weight is 219. I also have rheumatoid arthritis but it has not been very active for the past couple of years.

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    slow it down.
    Sounds like your doing too much too fast.

Slow and steady wins the race.
    We didnt gain all our weight overnight, its going to take a while, rest is just as important as exercise.
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I move to lap swimming when my knees or ankles play up, I know it can sound daunting (and I dont know if you can swim) , but its really a matter of technique, and finding a safe, slow stroke you can launch higher pace from.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would just go out for 45 minute walks, regular pace...
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Slow down or even take a few days off, why do cardio that would put alot of stress on your knee knowing it's sore, if anything i would do some swimming that might be your best option in my book.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the speedy responses. I think that I will take the advice to slow down, and (gasp) I will take at least tomorrow off. Next week I will try just regular walking and maybe a few aquasize classes...I'm not a good enough swimmer to do laps LOL.

I have to learn to listen to my own body and not try to force things. Thanks once again! Have a great weekend.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It depends on if its sore or injured. If you are hurt or have an injury, or believe you do, stop for a few days all together. If you believe its just sore from being over worked, lighten the load or take a day off.

I know its frustrating, I pulled a hamstring last week and its derailed my workouts for the past several days. However, hurt is better than injured, so take it easy :).