Weighing Food on a Mini Scale

Options
I have now been logging in my food for over a month and a half, and it's been extremely helpful, I think.

But recently, I've come across a problem in weighing the food, when it's not exactly in a certain amount of pieces or portions that I can eyeball easily.

Does anyone else have this problem and does anybody use one of those mini food scales?

I need some recommendations for which mini food scales are most reliable, sturdy and accurate long-term.

~katie

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I bought a store brand (pc) food scale about 2 years ago. It's perfectly accurate, I've checked out of curiosity a few times. I weigh everything unless It is a 1 portion container that has the info on it.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I bought an "eat smart" scale from amazon. It was around $25. It's awesome, not bulky, and works GREAT! Fits perfectly on my kitchen counter...I could even sneak it into a tote and take it with me. lol
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Katie, I definitely recommend the scale for calorie counting. The accuracy improves recipes too. Get one that does grams.

I frequently use the tare or 'add and weigh' function to build up a recipe with the bowl sitting on the scale. Very useful!

Here are my tips for choosing good scales:

* Digital.
    Make sure the digits are large and clear.

* Flat top
    So you can use your own pans or bowls for maximum flexibility. I wouldn't get one with an included jug or bowl.

* Must be able to display grams.

* Precision to 1 g

* Maximum weight
    Most go to 3 kg (6.6 lb). Some go to 5 kg (11 lb). The extra capacity isn't essential, but it's very useful.

* Tare (add and weight) function.
    Essential. Most have this now.

* Batteries.
    Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

I think this is the Eatsmart scale
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1328951449&sr=1-1
  • cadency
    Options
    I use one in measuring out my portions at home. I love it and it's definitely helped me eyeball sizing better... I'm getting familiar with what 4 oz of rice looks like, etc.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I got one from amazon for about $20. I absolutely love it. Its easy to use, easy to clean, isn't bulky, and looks nice sitting on the counter. I've even packed it in my lunch bag when we've had carry-ins at work. Got a few strange looks... but hey, I was able to count my calories :)
  • jez26
    jez26 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a cheap digital scale and its great, super accurate and I use it daily with my bfast cereal. & other things if i'm not sure of what a peice of meat weighs etc.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale :)!
    Just because i can't judge things by eye. I'm totally rubbish.

If I don't weigh out nutella (15g) I'd probably use about 100g of it ;)! ahaha
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I use it every single day! :smile:
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Yup I have food measuring scale! It's great! I use it every day! There is no way I could go without it - because what I'd assume is 5g or what ever I am always off!!! So I swear by it! I highly recommend one. I got mine from Target, it was $45 and accurate. It's digital too. Very nice!!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have an OXO digital scale I bought from Williams Sonoma over 2 years ago and it still works well. I suggest digital over spring when buying, much more accurate.
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Until I got my scale what I thought something should weigh did I find out how WRONG I was. Good luck to you