Intensity vs Duration

Options
I used to be a gym rat. Enter husband and two children, I got lazy, and let's face it, fat. I've decided to do the Insanity workouts to jump start the fitness train. I haven't been active beyond chasing kids in a long time. So what is more important when I begin the workouts? High intensity until I can't go any longer? OR pace myself for the full duration? I worry about the latter and perhaps falling into a pattern of not pushing myself enough. I realize I will eventually be able to complete the full workout, but what are folks' thoughts? I'm going for fat burn vs toning right now. My guess is duration at as high of an intensity as I can manage for the full span is ideal. But I'd like to confirm this with others. I just worry that I give it my all and poop out 10 minutes into a 40 minute workout. Or do I give 80% and go the full 40?

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Maybe its just me, but I beleive in giving it full effort for as long as possible. Thats just the way I am. :smile:
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've always read that low intensity is better for fat burning while high intensity improves stamina etc...so my advice would be lower intensity to begin...can anyone else verify at?
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I am going to lurk on this topic to find out bc I have been wondering myself.

Also, what is Insanity?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I say high intensity for as long as you can to maximize calorie burn.

ETA: well actually in the case of 10 min full force vs 40 min at 80%, you might burn more calories exercising for 40 min. I prefer short workout, so I like to do high intensity in short time.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    it's a workout by beachbody like p90x but doesn't require any equipment.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When you are just starting out, duration and consistency are the only things that are important. Intensity is about 10th on the list. You need to establish a consistent routine and increase your endurance first and foremost. You won't do that beating yourself up every workout and being discouraged that you couldn't do more.

Starting an exercise program, the body goes through an "adaptation" or "preconditioning" phase. During this time, you can see improvement at intensity levels as low as 40% of VO2 max. You also need to condition your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc to the increased amount of work. This is especially true if you are doing workout DVDs.

After 2-3 weeks, once you have established your frequency and improved your endurance, then you can start to add some intervals and some days where you push harder. At that point, your body will be ready for it and you will experience more benefit from the harder work.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started turbofire, my goal was to complete whole workout then improve on other areas.
    Now i can give 100% for whole time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When you are just starting out, duration and consistency are the only things that are important. Intensity is about 10th on the list. You need to establish a consistent routine and increase your endurance first and foremost. You won't do that beating yourself up every workout and being discouraged that you couldn't do more.

Starting an exercise program, the body goes through an "adaptation" or "preconditioning" phase. During this time, you can see improvement at intensity levels as low as 40% of VO2 max. You also need to condition your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc to the increased amount of work. This is especially true if you are doing workout DVDs.

After 2-3 weeks, once you have established your frequency and improved your endurance, then you can start to add some intervals and some days where you push harder. At that point, your body will be ready for it and you will experience more benefit from the harder work.

This! Once your body is conditioned, I'd suggest that it's not an either intensity or duration question. The answer is both and throw in some strength training. I think you can get some great results from a program that looks like: Low intensity (walking, biking or similar) for approximately 2 to 4 hours per week, 2 strength training session of 30 to 45 minutes and one high intensity interval 29 minute workout. You'll burn fat, build endurance and strength.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I do combination of both . My thing is running but I'm sure its the same for most things but looking in the mags and on the internet most programmes are the same , mixing runs that are long and low intensity one day and then short and sharp the next. The long ones get rid of calories and the short ones build endurance AND allow me to run faster in my low intensity workouts making them work better as well.