Reasons for eating under 1200 cals

Options
If you look at my diary, this past week has been awful as I've been real depressed. I started a new medication lsat night that makes me feel sick and like not eating anything. I hear all the time, eating les than 1200 calories is unhealthy... What if I can't eat that much due to the medication? Should I just aim for as much as I can get? Will it hurt eating 800 or 1000?

I've heard people suggest to others having a hard time eating enough to eat some peanut butter our nuts or avocado but when the problem is nausea, most everything sounds awful. Please advise if you have an opinion about whether under 1200 is OK.

Thanks a lot.

Replies

• KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi! No matter how much you're not hungry, if you do not eat your 1,200 calories (that's my goal too!) you will not reach your goal. Which congratulations, you've lost a lot! I ate over 488 calories on my limit, but off set it by exercising. Do you feel full eating? Maybe you should talk to your doctor. It will not hurt eating 800-1,000. Your medication probably says something about losing appetite. Eat even if you don't feel like it. Just eat mindlessly, but make sure to keep track of your calories at the same time! Add? I'm new :/

10104122.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You just started the medication last night? Give it a little time to even out, and if you feel consistently sick, go back to your doctor. In the meantime, experiment and figure out what you can eat. You need some time to figure out how to work around it. Just don't stress out too much or you will feel sicker.
    It might help to try some teas that help settle your stomach- try ginger, peppermint, or chamomile. It might help.
  • cadency
    Options
    So a diet around 900 calories a day for two weeks or more is clinically considered a starvation diet. When you eat under 1200 calories, the body says, "oh no! we don't have enough to meet our demand." and it begins to HOLD onto what's in the body and won't let it go. The primary thing it holds onto? Fat. The other thing you will run the risk of is malnutrition when you eat less than 1200 calories. Sure, even if you eat nothing but awful foods for 1200 calories you can be malnourished but it's worse less than. So you could start having low potassium levels which can cause your heart to go into a bad rhythm, you can get cramps from lack of nutritients. Lots of bad things can happen. The worse can be the potassium levels dropping - cause that could eventually lead to death. You typically see that more in long time anorexics, though, but it can still be a complication...

Do what you can. Eat healthier foods with more calories and protein in them if you can't eat a lot during the day... the more calories in the meal, the less you have to eat. If nausea is the problem, talk to the doctor about maybe some zofran or if there's another medication without those side effects...
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Under 1200 is NOT okay :\!
    Your body needs those cals to function! Even if you aren't doing anything..in the long term it will cause health problems

http://rawr-im-kelly.blogspot.com/
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Please ignore everything else posted. Especially the post above me.

Generally, all things being equal, I would say yes, if you're eating under 1200 calories you're setting yourself up for failure.

However, right now, things are not equal for you. You've started a new medication that is making you nauseous. Give yourself two weeks to get used to the medication and if you're still having the same issues talk to your doctor. Eat as much as you can stomach but focus more on getting used to the medication then worrying over something that right now, you can't control.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Why ignore my post?
    I'm sorry but that's down right rude.
    I was only advising.

Eating under 1200 puts you into starvation mode. And yes it will cause you problems. I have been through depression before. And it lead me to eat under 1200 cals. Which caused me to be severely under weight. And guess what happened. Yes. Bad health. So no. Don't ignore my post.

Cos what if she doesn't get used to the medication. Can she justify eating less than 1200 cals?

Ugh.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Generally, all things being equal, I would say yes, if you're eating under 1200 calories you're setting yourself up for failure.

However, right now, things are not equal for you. You've started a new medication that is making you nauseous. Give yourself two weeks to get used to the medication and if you're still having the same issues talk to your doctor. Eat as much as you can stomach but focus more on getting used to the medication then worrying over something that right now, you can't control.

I'm with lozze, your body is in transition and wondering what the hell these med's are about, let it get used to the med's if after say two weeks and your still feeling sick, see your dr cause that's no way to live, chemo patients have to live with medicines that make em nauseous the rest of us are generally able to find alternatives.
    Hang in their eat as healthy as you can, maybe stick to blander foods till your tummy's better and keep your hydration up, basically in your situation I'd be eating as if I were getting over a tummy bug, bland oh neutral foods and hydration

Hope everything settles down soon for you
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Why ignore it? Because the woman is ILL. She's taking a medicine which is making her sick. She's said she's depressed and presumably taking meds to help with that.

So beating her with a healthy eating stick actually isn't helpful.

Of course eating less than 1200 cals routinely is bad for you. But ffs, when you're ill, that's likely to happen.

To the OP - do the best you can, lovely. Eat as much as you can manage. Your body will take about 10 days to adjust to the meds. If after 10 days your appetite has still not restored, then I think you should worry, and get yourself back to the doctor. Presumably you already have a follow up appointment booked for somewhere around day 7 on the meds? Mention your concerns then, if they persist.

Good luck, and i do hope you'll soon feel better.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Why ignore my post?
    I was only advising.

It was actually the post above you, but my point still stands.
    Eating under 1200 puts you into starvation mode. And yes it will cause you problems. I have been through depression before. And it lead me to eat under 1200 cals. Which caused me to be severely under weight. And guess what happened. Yes. Bad health. So no. Don't ignore my post.

Not in two weeks. There is NO actual science in what you've posted. Yes starvation mode exists, but not as quickly as you're making out.
    Cos what if she doesn't get used to the medication. Can she justify eating less than 1200 cals?

Ugh.

If you actually read my post, you'd see that I said if she's still having the same issues in two weeks go to her doctor. Two weeks of under eating won't hurt her. More than that will. But she will need to see someone who has a lot more knowledge that either you or I to be able to get proper advice.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I suspect the problem is that hysteria is getting in the way of accurate reading of both the OP and Lozze's post.

Sigh.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Well then instead of saying "ignore" certain people's post, you could have been like, well what they're saying is right, however short term is find. Instead of actually point blankly being rude. People reply to these posts for a reason, giving their opinions. She asked for people's opinions. Nevermind.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Well then instead of saying "ignore" certain people's post, you could have been like, well what they're saying is right, however short term is find. Instead of actually point blankly being rude. People reply to these posts for a reason, giving their opinions. She asked for people's opinions. Nevermind.

When you don't read the post and respond in a generic manner I will tell people to ignore them. Offering unhelpful advice to someone who is struggling with an illness and complications from it is not helping her. You're also ignoring actual science to post your opinions.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

I agree, when I'm ill I can't eat much, give yourself time to adjust to your medication, and try and eat as best you can. Maybe take some multivitamins? Get the best nutrition you can manage, and eat what you fancy till you're back on form.
    Feel better soon!
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This poor lady is poorly and needs medication and has suffered with depression too....I really dont think you lot having an argument on her thread is the way to go!!!! She's on here and has asked for help and advice, not some slanging match....get with it girls, give her some support!!! Arguing on here like a bunch of school kids, its ridiculous!!! Anyway....

Hi Im Helen, I have had some problems with my metabolism after being diagnosed with premature menopause which has meant I have eaten under my 1200 cals sometimes and I am perfectly fine, which just goes to show every case is different. I really wouldnt worry too much if the medication is only for a short term basis. Due to my hormones and slow metabolism, if I up my calories to over 1200 I gain weight, simple as that, so everybody is different. Find something you can eat if you can. I always found ginger was good for nauseousness, ginger biscuits or something with mint in is good to calm the stomach.

Really hope you soon feel better, I also suffer with depression and feel so down some days makes me feel so drained and makes you feel like everything is so grey and dismal, even if its a sunny day, also its not much fun feeling nauseous. I had bad sickness with my pregnancies and would feel sick all day and be sick alot, so I hope you get better soon. I also suffer with depression (brought on by my menopausal thing) and it is very draining and not much fun at all. Get well soon, keep your chin up and dont worry too much, eat what you can when you can and see the doc if it goes on for too long.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Without wishing to get in the middle of a big argument, I have to agree that a short time eating under 1200 won't do you any harm, especially if you are still hitting around a 1000, but as a suggestion to help you get some more could you possibly drink some milk, hopefully that wouldn't make you so nauseous. Hope you feel better soon.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say never eat under 1200 calories, but you're adjusting to a new kind of medication and don't feel well. Do what you can. If you can face it, try and eat foods higher in calories and protein, but don't beat yourself up about it if you can't. I've never been on medication for depression (although my friend is), but I remember I was very ill two summers ago and literally could not stomach any food but plain white rice. If I tried to eat anything more than that, I was in pain all day. If you still feel unwell after a couple of weeks, see your doctor, but in the meantime just do as much as you can and good luck.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Why ignore my post?
    I was only advising.

Ugh.

She can go back to the dr. I only ate 500-600 cals for bout a week a month or so ago when I had salmonella.

OP: Just do what you can til you feel well enough to eat normal foods, Maybe try the BRAT diet... bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast helped when i was sick and drinking powerade should help.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

^^^^ This! Listening to your body is important. You are not well, you are starting a new medication so you need to listen to your body. My mum recently came off strong steroids after her radiotherapy and she could eat virtually nothing for a few weeks. She ate what she could and listened to her body. She ate only the foods that she could tolerate (mostly proteins) and didn't worry about it. After a while she has gradually been able to eat more and more and is now able to eat almost normally. During this time she did lose weight and now this weight loss has slowed right down to the level she wants. She can even eat a modest amount of pasta and potatoes now.

Listen to your body. Don't worry too much for now. Hopefully you will start feeling better soon and will gradually be able to eat more. What's the point of eating all your calories if it's going to make you feel so nauseous that you're sick? Do we force ourselves to eat 1200 calories when we have stomach flu, noro virus or any other stomach virus for that matter? No. We eat what we can if and when we can and listen to our bodies to tell us when we can eat normally again. I'm sure it will happen soon. For now, eat what you can. Perhaps little and often so as not to overload your delicate-feeling stomach, and gradually increase again as you get used to it. Perhaps if things don't start to get better soon it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor for advice. It may be that there is an alternative that suits you better.

I hope you feel better soon, hun. It must be horrid to feel so poorly. If you need a supportive friend while you are going through this, feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Continuation from my other post....Ive just thought of something else too...accupressure bands. I had them when I was pregnant as I suffered a condition that made me sick all the time, they go around the wrist like a wrist band and press onto the pressure point. They may help with nausea. Hope you soon feel better.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you. Feeling ill all the time is no fun :(

I have a couple of suggestions...

1. Check if your doctor would allow you to take your medication in the evening before you go to bed ? I do this with folic acid, as taking it really increases my morning sickness but I need to take it, of course. However if I take it at night just before I go to sleep, it is much better for my sickness levels.

2. Again check with your doctor first. But try to drink your calories, protein shakes, tinned soups and fruit juice have kept me going over the last few weeks.

Really hope you start to feel better soon. (I feel 100% better now)