Women with PCOS!

Options
My name is Michelle and I'm looking to support and encourage women with PCOS and anyone really and hopefully get that in return. What are some of the things you're doing to lose weight with PCOS? Suggestions and tips are welcome!

Replies

• IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be a airhead, but what is that? :blushing:
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    PCOS- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OK Thank U!!!:embarassed:
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Hello!!! I have SEVERE Polysistic Ovarian Syndrome. I got diagnosed 10 years ago at the tender age of 18. I have ALL symptoms (even the embarassing ones). I don't menstrate and am extremely inferfertile. I would love to join you on this journey. I only have a couple of tips on losing weight with PCOS, which you may already know. Since our bodies are insulin resistant with this, cutting out all unnesessary carbs is essential. It also seems to come off slower with this disease, at least that is what I have noticed. Let me know you thoughts also~:flowerforyou:
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Infertile**
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I agree, t comes off slowly but with exercise, I am able to lose the weight in a decent time. It's just maintaining that weight loss that's the problem. I'm glad to find some women who are suffering like me so we can motivate one another. I suffer from the severe ones too and the embarassing ones.
  • sunflowermom2
    Options
    I suffer from it severely. I was diagnosed at the age of 14. I am severely infertile. I have massive issues with it. The bad and the ugly for there is no good with it. I try to keep my carbs low and drink plenty of water 10-12 glasses Dailey. I would love to join you on your journey. I'm very supportive and comment frequently. I've found the only way to keep it off is to log,log,log and log some more. If I don't I will defiantly gain it all back.
  • Twyla123
    Twyla123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Me too ladies! I was told I had PCOS 16 years ago(now half of my life I have had this condition), my daughter is now 3 years old (we tried for 5 years with no success to end up trying IUI and first try we had a little baby 9 months later). I too have all of the severe systems just like you. My doctor just told me that they are linking transfats to PCOS, I believe it! Since I have been dieting, exercising and calorie counting I have never been so 'regular' (I haven't been this regular since the pill). I have also noticed that stress plays a huge roll. Add me as a friend if you wish, it is nice to know that you are not the only one out there struggling with this problem!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    PCOS here... and it sucks! Wish I could tell you some great tips, but all I can really say that has ever worked for me is workout out for several hours a day to see any results : ( It's horrible that we have to work so much harder at it for such little gain, but what can you do?
    The only things I have heard that may help are the following:

taking 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day, to regulate blood sugar ( some people say it has helped them lose weight, and in studies has proven to be more effective than metformin)

taking chromium supplements, also helps to regulate blood sugar.

Vitex.. helps to balance hormones, which aids weight loss. However if you are on birth control, as I am, my doctor advised not to take until off the pill.

Another thing my Doctor once had me on was Spironolactone, which I think is a blood pressure medication, but has been proven effective in helping to treat some symptoms of PCOS. He told me I would lose weight on it, however I can't remember if I really did or not. Anyway here is an article on it :
    http://women.webmd.com/spironolactone-for-polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos

I have also read some people have had a lot of success with the Insulin Resistance Diet, if you can follow it. But for me, it's next to impossible when I am cooking meals for my husband and step-kids as well. I just try to limit my carbs as much as I can without counting.

Anyway, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like :)
  • tippietoes
    Options
    I have it too- and yes, it sucks tremendously.
    I found that yam noodles are a great low carb alternative to use. There are lots of expensive versions on the market, eg miracle noodle. But if you go to an Asian grocer & ask for Yam noodles or Shirataki noodles- they're the exact same thing!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Good looking out ladies! Maybe we should start a PCOS group and have challenges and motivation for one another. Thoughts?
  • Mrswilko
    Options

Another thing my Doctor once had me on was Spironolactone, which I think is a blood pressure medication, but has been proven effective in helping to treat some symptoms of PCOS. He told me I would lose weight on it, however I can't remember if I really did or not. Anyway here is an article on it :
    http://women.webmd.com/spironolactone-for-polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos

Not sure if it's different here in the UK, but Spiro is prescribed here to reduce hair growth and is very effective. You need to be careful on it though since if you fall pregnant on it you have to terminate the pregnancy. I think you have to be off it for about a year ideally if you want to concieve.

If you want more info and support I help with a PCOS charity called Verity and we have forums for support and conferences and lots of info :) Fabulous lot of ladies with all matter of experience, advice and no embarrassment!! :)
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    as you can also see, I have lost a tremendous amoutn of weight whilst suffering with PCOS (I have gained some - i was over 100lbs lost!) and did it in just over a year.

I already have an almost 4 year old and am currently pregnant with my 2nd :)

Don't give up, it is possible, you just have to find the right combination of diet and exercise for you.

Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another one who suffers with PCOS.

For me personally it's not cutting carbs, but eating the right carbs. I cut out all white carbs and eat wholemeal .I do need to cut them down but it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

The BIG thing that has helped me was being put on Metformin and taking it regularly.

With the exercise part I've found that I don't need to do extreme exercise every day. I need to do at least 30 minutes though. So my walk to and from work seems to help. For most of my weight loss outside sport (softball) that was my ONLY exercise. It's only the past two weeks that I've got back in the gym with consistency.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I have PCOS. I workout at an average of half hour a day (except for rest days which are 1 - 2 times a week), doing more body weight exercises than straight cardio. I eat a gluten free diet which I have found helps enormously with the water retention and bloating (also my cyst pain is a LOT better) and I also stopped gaining weight when I went on a GF diet. I am losing approx half kilo (1lb) a week sometimes more sometimes less. I dont eat low carb or watch my sugar, but I also dont eat a lot of processed carbs or sugars, mine are mainly natural.

I've heard doing a diabetic diet can help a lot, I did get tested and there was no issues there for me. As soon as I stopped eating gluten my body began to feel a hundred times better. I had read that women with PCOS can be more likely to be gluten intolerant, dont know how true that is but it was certaintly the case with me.
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed, but my gynecologist just wants to put me on birth control pills. I'm in the process of switching internists, so perhaps we can get somewhere that way. In the last couple of weeks, I have really been watching my carb intake....and after a couple of months of no results despite my fairly frequent and lengthy workouts, I have finally shed 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I agree...we do need a group, though.....
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Thanks all! Cysters Unite!! :) For those of you who wanna add me, feel free to do so.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but have only just recently been diagnosed (but have had all the symptoms for years, just no decent doctor to see this!) so I don't have a lot of advice to give, but keen to see what others say!

I've just started taking metformin, but only in the last week, so can't really tell you if it's effective yet, though my blood sugar levels seem pretty good. (I'm also on Thyroxin for Hypothyroidism, also recently diagnosed. Between the 2, I hope for some success!)

I'd love to hear from others that have tried the cinnamon approach to help regulate insulin! I've never heard of this! Could you just add it to a smoothie or something? Or do you take it on it's own with water or something? I'd be interested to try, as I don't want to take medication for the rest of my life...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/153-pcos-cysters-losing-together

Here's a group. I don't use it much but I am a member.
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    Hey i have pcos for bout 10 yrs.
    It is so hard to lose weight. I'done 40lb in 7 mths, but in the last 2 mths iv put on 6lb, jus not loosin too much medical stuff goin on. But il get back on.
    x