Now let me ask you this...........

Options
185553.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

What are the main things that you look at? Just calories and fat grams? I have not yet gone over my calories or fat grams, but I have in protein, carbs.......that sort of stuff. What is MOST important?

Replies

• bentley786
    Options
    185553.png

What are the main things that you look at? Just calories and fat grams? I have not yet gone over my calories or fat grams, but I have in protein, carbs.......that sort of stuff. What is MOST important?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    personally I watch fats,carbs and sodium..MFP has the sodium limit at 2500 which is the max..I try to keep mine at around 1500mg.:drinker:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    fat, sugar, sodium, fiber, carbs!

Just whatever you want to track, I reckon!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't know if it's the 'right' approach but I lost 30 pounds on this site and have always counted calories ONLY
    I try to eat as healthy as possible but, for me, it was too overwhelming to worry on top of restricting my cals how many fat grams etc I was consuming
    It's worked for me

Kim
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi

I don't know if it's the 'right' approach but I lost 30 pounds on this site and have always counted calories ONLY
    I try to eat as healthy as possible but, for me, it was too overwhelming to worry on top of restricting my cals how many fat grams etc I was consuming
    It's worked for me

Kim

So far, I'm doing the same. I've been a member for a few weeks and have already lost 9 pounds. I count only my calories. I have two boys who are on high calorie diets to help them gain weight (they're 6 and 4 and are VERY small) so, as opposed to cooking seperate meals for me and my boys, I make one meal, and pay attention to the calories. It's working for me, and I still get to eat some of the "less healthy" foods. Just make sure you stay active.

I don't think there is a real answer as to what is MOST important, it's all important, but calories are certainly a killer.

Also, I want to add, that since I've been on here and watching my calories, the only thing I've gone over on was my fat (by a few grams) and one other, though I can't remember which. Now, I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be, but you should check out some of the other threads. They hold A LOT of answers. Goodluck!

ALC

178464.png
  • pfeif21
    pfeif21 Posts: 27
    Options
    help me...
    i have been staying under my calorie intake and doing boot camp and flex classes (cardio with strength training) plus elliptical. I have been keeping my protein up... my weight will NOT go down. in fact, this morning, it went UP.. two pounds. I've been trying to keep my sodium down... drinking more water. I even took a couple of water pills. what's going on???
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the weight and gain/maintain muscle also. I'm hoping that will keep me from hitting a plateau. So I make sure I don't go over my fat and carbs, and have enough protein fiber and calcium.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ultimately, you really want to make sure you're getting a balanced diet. But as the saying goes, calories in vs calories out really is the name of the game. micro nutrients are important though, and a healthy body chemistry will help you achieve your goal faster and will help you stay healthy once you get there.

If you really want to design a good solid balanced diet, go to www.mypyramid.gov

it's the US food pyramid and will give you not only the food groups you need every day, but will help you design a plan that works for you, as well as giving you lots of top quality information on food, nutrition, and healthy eating.

Best luck to you!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    help me...
    i have been staying under my calorie intake and doing boot camp and flex classes (cardio with strength training) plus elliptical. I have been keeping my protein up... my weight will NOT go down. in fact, this morning, it went UP.. two pounds. I've been trying to keep my sodium down... drinking more water. I even took a couple of water pills. what's going on???

you shouldn't be eating less than the cals allotted by mfp. plus such intense exercise and still eating few cals--your "engine" doesn't have enuf fuel (food). there are many threads on the importance of enuf calories--look at the "newbie" info at top of boards.
    what you're doing is making your body (most likely) hold onto each and every calorie and efficiently storing it away for the future. anyway, read the historical threads to get more info on this.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the weight and gain/maintain muscle also. I'm hoping that will keep me from hitting a plateau. So I make sure I don't go over my fat and carbs, and have enough protein fiber and calcium.
    boss posted the other day about the ability to signif gain muscle while in a calorie deficit mode. good read.
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    help me...
    Are you sure that you are eating enough calories? Are you eating your calories burned? I will admit sometimes I will not eat all my calories burned but you have to add for the extra calories that you worked off. Your body may feel like its not receiveing enough so then its not goin to let go of any fat.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I watch calories and nothing else. I make healthy choices, for the most part, and try to avoid unhealthy fats but, that's all.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    185553.png

I personally think starting with fat and calories, or even just calories if you're overwhelmed by it all is what is most important. If you find you're not getting anywhere doing this, it might be time to take a closer look at what all your food is made up of. Sodium is an important ingredient that I tend to ignore but I find it's useful to watch it as I get closer to weighing in or when I'm feeling puffy. I think each person is going to have a different opinion of what you should be doing and that's because everyone is different!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I watch calories, fat, saturated fat, and protein mostly.