HRM- going to buy one, need tips

Options
What's a decent HRM that won't break the bank? How do I use it once I buy it? Do you only wear it during exercise? What is the calculation you do to determine calories burned?

Any info appreciated!!

(Currently wear a FitBit 24/7)

Julie :)

Replies

• jmijaressf
    Options
    The more accurate heart rate monitors are the ones with the chest strap. If you're just using it for cardio then I'd recommend the Polar brand. Polar makes heart rate monitors for under $100. You can get the Polar FT7 from heartratemonitorsusa.com for $83 shipped. A lot of folks here on MFP use that model.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. Love it!
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm using the polar Ft4 as well which I bought online. Once you enter your info (even I could follow the directions), nothing to calculate. Click on start - exercise - click on stop - go to the data & read calories burned.

I saw a model with the monitor on an arm band ( rather then my 3 piece) & will consider buying it when the budget allows as I sometimes find myself @ the gym missing a piece - either the watch or the monitor that snaps onto the strap ( I separate them to wash the strap).

Any hrm is a fab investment in your health.

Good luck!
    Robin
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 here, love it, easy to set up and use. Also the batteries can be changed by the owner, you wouldn't have to send it away. Also easy to alter the your weight in it as you lose over the weeks.

Bought mine off Amazon, it arrived within two or three days.