Turkey Breakfast sausage

Options
Scootsk
Scootsk Posts: 9 Member
I tried this recipe from food.com last week and I love it. It is a perfect substitute for when craving pork sausage. It is very spicy so if you dont like that cut back on the cayenne. I make two ounce patties for a 65 calorie total.

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄8; teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄8; teaspoon nutmeg
1⁄8; teaspoon allspice

Directions:
Combine all ingredients (use less pepper if you don't want a spicy taste) and blend well.
If time permits, refrigerate overnight to let the meat absorb the flavor of the spices.
Form into patties and cook as needed, freezing leftovers.
Don't overcook or they will dry out--remove from the heat as soon as they're no longer pink inside, but still juicy. (if you prefer a moister texture, you add a splash of olive oil or an egg to the mixture just prior to cooking).

BON APPITITE!

Replies

• myth4ever
    Options
    will try thanks for sharing!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jillsusanne
    Options
    Thanks! I am always looking for ground turkey sausage and can't find it - this will work wonderfully!!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thanks, thanks for sharing! I used to make this all the time but forgot the ingredients!!
  • jorge2657
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that sounds wonderful. Im new on this website and very excited to met new friends and share recipes
  • mreko2005
    Options
    As an Italian, I have to admit that sausage, for ANY meal, has always been one of my weaknesses. This recipe is great, I can already see myself making turkey meatballs, patties, as a stuffing for pasta, etc. Thanks for sharing!: :happy:
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks for sharing
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I am not much of a cook, so for those of you who want turkey sausage without making it, Jimmy Dean makes turkey sausage links and patties pre-cooked that you just have to microwave. I get them at WalMart by the bacon/sausage. :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Yummy, bump!
  • clemsontgr4evr
    clemsontgr4evr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Will have to try it.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shtaylor
    Options
    Jenny-O also makes turkey breakfast sausage (links or pattise),Hot or Sweet Italian sausage, and brats.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I tossed it in the recipe calculator and looks good except for my guy 278 sodium per patty is high, comparable to commercial sausage so maybe I'll give it a whirl with 1/2 the salt, if that works hurray an great alternative to the commercial stuff.
  • Scootsk
    Scootsk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tossed it in the recipe calculator and looks good except for my guy 278 sodium per patty is high, comparable to commercial sausage so maybe I'll give it a whirl with 1/2 the salt, if that works hurray an great alternative to the commercial stuff.

The beauty of making your own, you can adjust the ingriedents to your liking and dietary needs. I just made it with half the cayenne and it came out great!
  • mreko2005
    Options
    Scootsk, you should add this to the Recipe Swap! group, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated!