Need Help with party ideas

Options
Fitwam
Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
Having a very small gathering tomorrow with 4 of my female friends. Any suggestions as to what to prepare? We usually have a meal. I am thinking something I can throw in the crockpot all day while I am at work...don't want to blow my calories on this gathering! Any suggestions welcomed!

Replies

• dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Crockpot chicken Tacos.. There is a really good recipe here on MFP. Off to go find it for you!! :-D

I usually make hot-ham-n-cheese when we have gatherings. Not great for you but not terrible either. That is 2.5 pounds ham, 16 ounces velveeta cheese, stick butter, and 3/4 can of evaporated milk. Heat for a few hours in crock pot just till everything is melted and good to go! You do want to be sure someone is there to stir it though.... Otherwise the ham can just sit on the edges and burn/get hard. SUPER easy and yummy though!
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Just figured calories on that and WITHOUT a bun, it is 130 calories if you make 24-1 ounce servings. I honestly can't remember how many we get out of it but I usually just use 3-4 pieces of ham on mine. I get the virginia shaved ham that sams sells in 1.5 pound containers. (So I end up using 3 pounds)
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Holy Schnikey... FINALLY found it.... couldn't find it on here though so here it is copied and pasted. When I made it, I made it with orange juice, not pineapple. It was soooooo good and made a TON!!! This is a copy of what I printed out so the comments are not mine, they are the original posters. :-D

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

I literally threw this together while the coffee was brewing. Your house will smell like the best Mexican restaurant in town.

one onion, chopped
    one red pepper, chopped (holds its flavor better than a green one)
    four chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
    2 cups salsa
    chili powder (I like chipotle) to taste (about a tsp. . .more for more heat)
    cumin (1 tsp)
    1/2 cup orange or pineapple juice (optional, but adds a lovely flavor)

Place onion and peppers in crockpot, place chicken breasts on top of them.

In a bowl, mix the salsa, fruit juice chili powder and cumin. Then, pour everything on top of vegetables and chicken.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 6-8. It's done when the chicken shreds easily w/ a fork.

Makes 8 servings at 175 grams each. (I think that's a little over a measuring cup, but I weigh)

Serve with shells, cheese and your other favorite taco toppings.

Here are the numbers on the meat only (not shells, etc.) It's also good in a sandwich wrap, or over a salad. I even eat it by itself with some guac.

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 158.9
    Total Fat 1.7 g
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Cholesterol 65.7 mg
    Sodium 355.6 mg
    Potassium 510.8 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 0.7 g
    Protein 27.4 g
    Vitamin A 11.6 %
    Vitamin B-12 7.2 %
    Vitamin B-6 39.3 %
    Vitamin C 63.0 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 4.6 %
    Calcium 3.7 %
    Copper 13.7 %
    Folate 5.8 %
    Iron 8.9 %
    Magnesium 11.3 %
    Manganese 6.3 %
    Niacin 67.5 %
    Pantothenic Acid 11.6 %
    Phosphorus 25.2 %
    Riboflavin 8.8 %
    Selenium 29.4 %
    Thiamin 9.3 %
    Zinc 7.7 %
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thanks Amy!! Will have to try that!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Check out Skinnytaste.com, lots of recipes there!