How much is 100g of yogurt?

Options
Like in cups?

Replies

• gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'd say whereabouts of 0.5 cup, but it depends on the type of yogurt.
    More like 5-6 tablespoons.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am also utterly baffled by the metric system. (It has been explained to me a thousand times about why it makes sense, but until everyone does it, it is meaningless to me.)

My husband gave me a great tip though. He said that our food packages are measured in grams. I didn't believe him so I looked and he's right. It says the grams next to the ounces and it's much easier to understand.

I just checked and 4oz of Activia is 113 grams. It's one container and 4oz is half a cup.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend this enough...get a small digital food scale. I picked one up at Target for about 30 bucks and use it religiously. The great thing is you can set your dish on the scale and use the tare feature to zero the scale back out. Then just get your container of yogurt and start spooning it out until it gets to 100 g.

Mine also has a feature for ounces or grams. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING now. This has made a huge positive impact for me in my pursuit of my goals.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend this enough...get a small digital food scale. I picked one up at Target for about 30 bucks and use it religiously. The great thing is you can set your dish on the scale and use the tare feature to zero the scale back out. Then just get your container of yogurt and start spooning it out until it gets to 100 g.

Mine also has a feature for ounces or grams. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING now. This has made a huge positive impact for me in my pursuit of my goals.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my scale!! It really puts things into perspective! Before 1 cup or 1/2 cup usually meant how much I could squish into one the measuring cup. Now I actually know :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can't tell unless you measure it with a scale. However, most labels will have a gram measurement next to the serving size on the nutrition label.

If the serving size is one container it will probably say after it (56g) or something like that. Simple math can help you figure out the rest.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    100grams is equal to 3.5 oz
  • mebeech
    Options
    Yeah but but how many tablespoon full of Greek yogurt would equal roughly 100g?
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup...so I'm guessing about 6 to 6.5 tablespoons.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Exactly which tablespoon are you using & how high do you want to pile it? Use a scale!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is 225g per cup approx (plain, could be different if it has fruit or something)

100g is therefore .444 cup

there are 16 tablespoons (FLAT) in a cup,

so there are 7.1 tablespoons in 100g of greek yogurt.

google and a calculator are your friends. I didn't know any of this 1 minute ago. you are obviously sitting at a computer or on a smart phone right now, you could have done the same... for future reference.:flowerforyou:

also, a scale is absolutely best, because your tablespoon could end up being 28-40+ g if it is not completely level, do not heap it at all.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you've got it in grams, log it in grams.

I tried asking Google, but even Google can't figure it out. This is because one is a measure of weight, and one is a measure of volume.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Absolutly believe in the food scale to make my food $ go farther by buying the less per gram/ounce size packaging. I can get greek yogurt at roughly half the price per ounce buying it in the 16 ounce tub vs the 4 ounce cups. If you get the scale that you can set to weigh your food in your serving bowl, it eliminates the need to dirty a measuring cup. Greener all around!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Exactly which tablespoon are you using & how high do you want to pile it? Use a scale!
    A tablespoon is a standard measurement, and it's supposed to be level across the top of the spoon.
  • AnanoBanano
    AnanoBanano Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    pure yogurt with 3.8% fat has 77 kcal per 100g and it fills 0.4 of a cup
    :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    get a small digital food scale

^
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

A tablespoon is a standard measurement, and it's supposed to be level across the top of the spoon.

Unless you know beforehand how much a tablespoon of that specific yogurt is, the numbers are going to be off. A tablespoon in this case, is more of a measurement of volume, not a measurement of mass (weight). A tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt is also probably going to weigh less than a tablespoon of Greek yogurt with fruit in it. And some greek yogurts are more dense than others.

(If you think about it, a tablespoon of decadent chocolate frosting or black strap molasses is going to weigh more than a tablespoon of instant mashed potato flakes or popcorn.)

Additionally, the other poster is correct in asking which tablespoon is the OP using. UK or US? I have both, because I use either, depending on the recipe.

http://www.onlineunitconversion.com/Tablespoon.UK_to_Tablespoon.US.html

OP's best bet is going to be to use a food scale, weigh a level tablespoon of that particular yogurt and go from there.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am also utterly baffled by the metric system. (It has been explained to me a thousand times about why it makes sense, but until everyone does it, it is meaningless to me.)

Imagine how we must feel trying to deal with the imperial system here on mfp. There is absolutely no logic to it.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    100g kind of depends on how thick the yogurt is and what the fat content is.
    Measuring it in milliliters would make more sense if you want to convert it to cups, but seeing as you need it in grams, I would just get a kitchen scale to find it out.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The last time I measured my light ,thin yogurt it was. 1/2c. Thicker yogurt may be 1/4 c. Good to get a scale.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why did we revive a thread from February?!