treadmill or elliptical?

Options
I'm going to go get one or the other, but I need some input on which is the better buy and the better workout. Please help me decide.

Thank you.

Replies

• dinah1962
    Options
    I'm going to go get one or the other, but I need some input on which is the better buy and the better workout. Please help me decide.

Thank you.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought an elliptical in 30 min you can burn roughly 300 calories. It is also an all body workout. Good luck!
  • NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    Options
    I think you should go for an elliptical, it is definitely easier on your kness...and once your really motivated, you can eventually run outside. Of course just my opinion :)
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my knees on the elliptical and have a treadmill. I like it but prefer outside the best.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you have any knee or hip issues, I would do the elliptical. But with a treadmill, you can walk on it, walk very fast on it, add a steep incline, and run on it... you can walk backwards or sideways to work different muscle groups....so to me it seems more cost effective and will last longer. The elliptical only does the one thing, although you can add resistance, and go backwards too usually, it seems more limiting.

You can usually find them cheap on craigslist if you have one in your city so you might be able to do both!
  • psilva78227
    psilva78227 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I prefer the eliptical. I burn more calories on it.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get a better workout on the elliptical.
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm short so hated my elliptical. Spent 400 on it and ended up giving it away. I now have a recline bike and love it. It works my abs as well as my the rest of my lower body, is easy on the knees and burns significant calories. Also takes up less room than a treadmill.

I read recently that ellipticals are not a very good cardio workout. The article said a treadmill is better and that ellipticals are best used for warming up.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really like the elliptical because it works the whole body...and I burn alot of calories too!!!!
    Maybe you can go to a gym and try the different ones...
    you can usually get one of those 5 day free passes and you can test them out.
    See which one you prefer and will actually use.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Elliptical burns more calories, but only by a small amount and is easier on the joints. A treadmill can act as an elliptical if you hold 2lb dumbbells in your hands and helps build bone density.

If you're not sure, you should experiment with both before buying to see what suits your needs.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think since you are spending the money, you need to try out both and see which on fits your fitness goals better. If you don't get something that you are going to use, it will be a waste of money.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I think since you are spending the money, you need to try out both and see which on fits your fitness goals better. If you don't get something that you are going to use, it will be a waste of money.

I agree with this! After my first baby I loved the elliptical but after my second I hate it. I prefer the treadmill and even more I prefer walking outside during the months that the weather allows. It really is a matter of personal preference, and you can burn just as many calories on a treadmill as an elliptical if you graduate to running :wink:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I'm short so hated my elliptical. Spent 400 on it and ended up giving it away. I now have a recline bike and love it. It works my abs as well as my the rest of my lower body, is easy on the knees and burns significant calories. Also takes up less room than a treadmill.

I read recently that ellipticals are not a very good cardio workout. The article said a treadmill is better and that ellipticals are best used for warming up.

I would love the link to wherever you read this...I love my elliptical, and would never choose a treadmill instead, mostly because of the impact on my joints. I'd love to see the reasoning in your article, as everything I've rad says you burn more calories and engage more muscles on the elliptical.

Always curious about new information/perspectives. :happy:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents....

What is your budget?

IMHO the treadmills that you can get for $500 - $1000 are decent. Not gym quality, but decent for a good workout. 2.5 hp motor or higher, nice smooth belt, and stury build.

Quality elipitcals, on the other hand, cannot be found in that price range. When we were shopping around (and we really researched) I found we would need to spend a few thousand dollars to get a smooth eliptical, that gave a proper range of motion, and that were sturdy.

IF you have a few thousand dollars to spend, I would go gym quality eliptical (as you can run outside a few times a week to balance your program).

IF you want to spend $500 to $1000, I would get a treadmill that is onsale. We found a Pro-form that was on sale for $500, from $1200 and it is great. Once you know your range, I think you will know your type of machine, and from there you can research specifics on line through buyer reviews.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I've also read that treadmills are better for the following reasons:

- impact helps build bone density
    - a preferred workout in terms of range of motion
    - less stability and support from the machine means more core & small muscles that are needed to keep proper form

That is not to say that elipticals are not good though, as each pro listed above, could be a con for someone else (e.g. with knee problems, joint/impact problems, balance issues, an older person working out for the first time, etc). Some people also prefer the handle bars of an eliptical. I think it is really about personal preference, and what is going to get you moving!
    :flowerforyou: