Subway

Options
is there room for subway in a fit person's diet? is their whole wheat bread real, or is it white bread with food coloring? is the oven roasted chicken real? they do have healthy options but are they really healthy options?? just wondering....

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    is there room for subway in a fit person's diet? is their whole wheat bread real, or is it white bread with food coloring? is the oven roasted chicken real? they do have healthy options but are they really healthy options?? just wondering....

You can go on their website and look up the calories and everything on their nutrition. I get the Steak and Cheese sub, with wheat bread, green peppers, pickles and light mayo. Calorie wise for half 6 inch it is 380. It's healthy. I feel good afterwards, and they use good ingredients. You can also play with the sandwich on their site to see how many calories each topping makes your sandwich. Remember everything in moderation.
  • LaurieAthGa
    Options
    I eat subway a few times/week. I choose a low calorie meat (turkey or ham) and load it up w/ fresh veggies. Usually I get turkey on wheat w/ cheese, tomato, lettuce, spinich, pickles, onions and mustard. Somedays I just dont have time to take lunch to work and I dont have many options near my office. I figure that Subway is a better choice than McD's or Burger King.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I usually get a grilled chicken with veggies and no mayo on wheat...I get a footlong and eat half at lunch and half at supper :)
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you would normally have no qualms about picking up a baguette from anywhere else, then really whats the issue?

My only issue with Subway is their claim of "Eat Fresh", their vegetables are miles and miles from being fresh.
    OH and also it's far too easy to get a 12" meetball marinara with its 1000kcal of badness.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think Subway is a great choice for fast food. I always feel full and without many calories. So many options too.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'll eat in on occasion but the sodium is HIGH
  • littleaprilina
    Options
    I liked Subway until I started reading more into the ingredients in the bread and the meats. The 9 Grain Wheat bread uses enriched wheat flour and has HFCS which both people debate about whether it's okay to eat or not. For me, I try to avoid it. They also use chicken flavoring in their chicken patties & strips which for some reason grosses me out. I did a quick Google of Subway and found this blog post: http://fussylittleblog.com/2011/05/03/the-good-way-vs-the-subway/
    Also, just look at the ingredients of the food on their site!
    I guess it depends on your definition of what a healthy diet is! I suppose it's alright in moderation.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    It all depends on what you get and what you get on it. We eat out on Fridays, and it is one of the best choices and it's filling. I always get the sweet onion chicken terriyaki with red onions and green peppers, extra sauce. NO CHEESE, no extra chicken, on honey oat. The hardest thing is trying to log it correctly. It has a very wide selection of various sandwiches and combos on here for subway, then just add in the fresh veggies you put on it.

This is the break down for what I get from subway. I have it saved in my recipes.
    subway sweet onion chicken 6 inch, 1 serving(s) 390 calories 74 carbs 6 fat 27 protien 137 potatssium 1,263 sodium
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There's a Subway really close to where I live and if I go, it is usually after a workout so I'll order a 6'' BMT on sourdough, with all the fixins' and some veggies (cucumbers, olives, pickles, lettuce, pepperchinis). It still only comes out to about 592 calories. (And, that's a sandwich with mayo, mustard, cheese, and oil!) So, yes it's possible; especially if you make better choices than I do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't like subway. Their slogan is "eat fresh" yeah right. Their **** is not fresh. And their bread is hard...
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think typical foot long sub is roughly 500 calories. Fills me up a lot more then a quaterpounder meal - 800 calories with a diet soda...
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you go to thier website they have a sandwich builder that tells you the calories. I get the club on italian bread with swiss cheese, red onion,cucumber,tomato and lettuce. With Light mayo. Only 410 calories.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Subway is my choice for on the go meals..... their soups are low calorie if not low sodium. and A healthy five dollar foot long can be cut into three and you get a nice portioned meal with lunch for tomorrow or in my case a snack for my son when I get home!
  • amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Subway is a bit of a splurge for me, I'll get it either if I've worked all day and I'm tired and hungry, or just as a treat... I usually have a footlong veggie delite, with double cheese, toasted, with some ranch too. It's like a combination grilled cheese and a salad. :) Ends up being like 800+ cals but like I said, it's a treat.
  • beankid
    beankid Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The $5 foot long is what gets me. I'll usually share or still get the 6 inch since a footlong can have a lot of calories depending on the meat.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Foot long - Grilled Chicken with tons of veggies, the nutritional info seems fine for me.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'd say so, all depends on what you get. I always get just salad , tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, olives and gherkins - a 6" Veggie Delite works out at about 223 cals. It's not too bad and it's very satisfying.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Overall, places like Subway, Which Wich, etc. can be good for a quick and easy meal! As a college student, it's quick for me, and I plan out what I want ahead of time online. :) Only thing to watch out for is sodium!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    They may be low calorie, but that doesn't make them healthy. As far as I know, most, if not all, of their breads contain HFCS.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I am the General Manager of a Subway, let me give you tips:
    -If you want to get a footlong, but only want to have half at a time- ask us nicely to wrap them separately- if i saw it all I would eat it
    -ONE serving of a sauce is 3 passes across a 6inch
    -If you want a better judge of light mayo- ask for a pack of it, they are 35 calories and don't lend themselves to human error
    -Tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and onions are cut in store, they are the healthiest and freshest ingredients
    -If your trying lower carbs and calories, ask them to hollow out the bread (its in the database for white and wheat- I did it)
    -The 'Standard build" for toppings- which is where the calorie info comes from on website- 3 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 3 pieces green pepper, 1/2 oz onions, 3 pickles, 3 banana peppers, THREE olives (commonly tripled).
    -If they have the option, get spinach instead of lettuce
    -Italian bread has less calories, but the Wheat has much higher fiber

If you have any questions feel free to ask, however please don't be mean