Have you had Low-Carb success?

Options
1235»

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Low Carb success for me!!!!! WHOLE NEW PERSON!!!
    I LOVE eating this way and feel A MILLION TIMES BETTER!

40 pounds LOST (30 since going low carb in sept)
    8 inches lost from my waist!
    ENERGY
    depression lifted!
    WAHHHOOOOOOOOO I don't care what the low carb haters say!! A calorie is NOT a calorie for me!!! I tried weight watchers for years.

Is there any specific diet you're following? How many carbs do you aim for on any given day? I have PCOS so restricting calories simply does not work for me. I've been trying to limit my carbs but still find myself consuming around 100 day. Ideally, I would like to see that number in the 50's but it's been very challenging. I'm so lost!

I've been doing Atkins. Can I help you with anything?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds...I have IR and PCOS as well as Hypothyroid. I am on Metformin and Armour.. I do low carb....no more than 100 a day..and I try to stick to whole foods. During the weekends I may splurge...and pay for it on Monday...(I am up 2 pounds..but its carb bloat)....but all in all..it has worked wonders for me
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I have lost weight several times doing the Atkins diet. The weight has always come off so fast; I have seriously lost 20lbs in one month, and then gone on to lose 13lbs a month eating like a horse (minus the apples and grains..heh).

But then, I would tire of always being stuck at school or at work with no options for my diet, no options at the restaurant, etc. Yes, I did ask for bunless burgers and yes, I did pick the tortilla chips out of my santa fe salad, but I couldn't even have a freaking sandwich...it got REALLY TIRING. I have children and I couldn't even bake cookies. In order to have all the special low-carb food, I would have to order it online at great expense.

Eventually, I would start slipping here and there. Every time I slipped once, I wouldn't lose for days, sometimes a week. Who doesn't want to have lasagne ever again? Might be great for some, but not me, mister. So, I would go off the diet and gain it all back, totally frustrated and convinced that this diet was the only way I would ever succeed...except...I never really did. The last time I did Atkins, I lost 47lbs in 3 months and then gained it back plus 10 more within a year.

Right now, I'm doing low cal. I've lost 23lbs in the last 2 months and I seriously can eat anything I want. I don't feel deprived or frustrated that I can't find MY food, because nothing is off limits. I'm so happy here, and I really feel like I can eat like this for life.
    If a person can stay on Atkins for life or needs low carb to get over insulin resistance, etc, good for them. I am just proof that it doesn't work for everyone.

You're right, it doesn't work for everyone. I strongly believe that my success with low-carb is due to my willpower, and due to the fact that my husband, who is the main cook and meal planner, has gone out of his way to find different and original ways to prepare my foods. Not everyone is that lucky! There are a ton of foods that can be eaten, and we've played around with recipes and seasoning's and spices for me! I have a huge variety of foods to eat.

I strongly believe that I abused my body with carbs and process food for so long, that I built up an insulin resistance. I believe that I can no longer eat highly processed carbs because my body won't tolerate them. I believe this is the reason why I fail at diets like Weight Watchers.

I still eat a high-carbage snack occasionally, but I don't go crazy on them every day, like I did in the past. I had a piece of cake for my birthday last week, and I will have chinese food on Wednesday night with my MIL.

Believe me you aren't alone. The non-believers have *almost* convinced me that the reason I overeat on a high-carb diet was because I didn't eat enough protein, which is much more satiating. Now that I am high-protein (150-200g per day), I actually have 1-2 days a week where I eat high carbs to fuel my running, and whenever I introduce lots of carbs back into my meals, I eat uncontrollably, even on adequate amounts of protein. Its like a trigger is pulled every time I start eating carbs and it takes a day or so to reset my cravings again.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 60lbs thanks to a low carb ketogenic diet.
    Its has been a lot more successful than any of my other attempts to lose weight. I find myself getting full on less food due to eating mainly fat and then protein. I have retained a lot of muscle due to ketosis. I have lost all the weight with very little exercise.

Its all thanks to the diet change!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I love when people use the example of someone they know who did "atkins" and lost a ton, then gained it back. I have a zillion people I know who have also done that on weight watchers, south beach, ... HELLO?! every diet has failed!! Most people who do atkins only think they know what the diet is about. Veggies, fruits, healthy whole grains. They think it is induction, which is only to last 2 weeks. If something is going to work, you have to change how you look a food. It's fuel!!

I have actually read many books on low carb and nutrition. Basically, for me, I eat things that are natural and not processed. I eat healthy fats, tons of fruits and veggies, dairy and meat. Oh, and I eat whole wheat bread, WW pastas...gasp!!! I feel awesome!! I work out a ton, and I'm a runner and low carbing hasn't done anything but help me. It really is a great way to eat. I don't eat bars, shakes or artificial sweetners. If I want something sweet, I eat fruit or dark chocolate. I do treat myself and will make brownies or cake, whatever...but I make it.

Check out my food diary, it's public.

Thanks! And I love your diary :)
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    I joined Atkins after I got married. I weighed 315lbs. I went on the intro phase and never came off and got down to 203. But I will tell you. When you do this you gain weight like you can't believe if you have carbs. I found once you get a taste back for the carbs you like (pizza, popcorn, chips, alcohol) you will see you easily can gain 3-5 lbs a week. Much of the problem was I had a ton to lose and didn't follow the plan correctly. Eventually I gained it all back and then 12 more.

I tried South Beach which is a little better. Good carbs are ok. Veggies are great plus low in calories.

I would just say this. I have tried various diets including weight watchers. I think you need to be balanced and this tool works great. I know when I am eating too many carbs. I feel tired and sluggish. I have had days where I eat pizza, and popcorn or chips or snacks with little fruit, protein or veggies and my body lets me know. It is one thing to watch your carbs but I wouldn't go nuts. You are better off having carbs but also exercising than to just cut carbs to lose weight.
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    No, it doesn't work for everyone. You may have to just try it to see how you do on it. My brother thrives on low-carb and drops weight like sheets at a Macy's white sale. I feel so sick, I can't make it past two weeks on low-carb Atkins.

Hopefully, I don't cheese off too many people by adding that I once had PCOS. However, I lost a ton of weight without any trouble until I had stage 3 endometriosis. Three surgeries and a long recovery later, I have neither endo or PCOS, but I find losing weight to be difficult beyond reason.

I'll have to fight for it this time around.
  • HulasMom
    HulasMom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am curious if you had any beans and/or wine on the South Beach diet?
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Mu husband is trying this out and I need all the tips I can get to help him.