Tablets + Smartphones at the Gym?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I read/watch movies while running on the treadmill, and I use the P90X app to track weight/reps for strength training.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread but for different reasons. I never knew about JEFIT ;) now I just picked it up for my iPhone ;) thanks.
  • bigalope
    Options
    smart phones and tablets have become the norm. You are using it for good...don't give it another thought! I use my iphone for my music and the couch to 5k program that I'm following.
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually have my smartphone, iPod, and Kindle with me at the gym. I think maybe I am too attached to my electronics!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing weights I took a book to the gym with me. I was definitely the only one doing that - but it was important for me to do the exercises correctly! It really shouldn't matter what anyone else is doing, as long as it works for you!

If a tablet helps you - feel free. Just remember that you alone are responsible for it.. You are in a gym. Its always possible for someone to drop a dumbell or spill their water. If you leave it laying on the floor and something happens to it - you made the choice to put it there. Maybe get an armband or something to keep it safe.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What are people's thoughts on the use of Tablet and Smartphone devices at the Gym?

I use an app to track my weight training on a per set basis as it structures my workout + rest periods for me, but I feel a little odd using them as I am very much the minority at my gym (only 1 as far as I can see)

To each their own, I don't personally care what others do. Me, I don't want my smartphone anywhere near me while I'm lifting. I'm afriaid I'll drop a plate on it by accident, lose it or have it stolen, or god help me; have it ring while I'm in the middle of a set break my concentration and hurt myself. My phones get put in the locker.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I always bring my iPad to the gym. I have an app that gives me my routine, and also has video to show me the correct way to do each exercise. I work out alone, sometimes I need the advice it gives

In situations like the person i am quoting i understand. If you're using your device to help you workout that's cool. But if you're diddling around with it, I don't see the point. It takes away gym focus. You end up spending more time in the gym, which in turn can slow down progress. The only situation i'd say is okay for "texting" and things of that sort. I guess it would be if you do low intensity cardio, such as walking, which can be boring.

There's one guy that comes in with his Kindle and he'll do a set then read for 5 to 10 minutes and do another set. Meanwhile he's holding up that equipment because especially likes to curl on the one full power rack we have, irritating. I call him Captain Kindle. LOL
  • saahild
    Options
    I always bring my iPad to the gym. I have an app that gives me my routine, and also has video to show me the correct way to do each exercise. I work out alone, sometimes I need the advice it gives

In situations like the person i am quoting i understand. If you're using your device to help you workout that's cool. But if you're diddling around with it, I don't see the point. It takes away gym focus. You end up spending more time in the gym, which in turn can slow down progress. The only situation i'd say is okay for "texting" and things of that sort. I guess it would be if you do low intensity cardio, such as walking, which can be boring.

There's one guy that comes in with his Kindle and he'll do a set then read for 5 to 10 minutes and do another set. Meanwhile he's holding up that equipment because especially likes to curl on the one full power rack we have, irritating. I call him Captain Kindle. LOL

That's the major reason I asked really!

I'm sat there for 30 seconds during my rest period but that's 4 sets of 30 seconds per exercise just "sat there" as it were. Last thing I'd want is someone to say I'm wasting their time by being on my phone where if I was just sat there recovering it wouldn't be a problem if you know what I mean.

I'm using my "old" (and now worthless due to advances in technology) smart phone now purely for gym app without a sim so calls/texts aren't a distraction or problem thankfully and if it breaks it breaks, it's worthless anyway :P
  • JNick77
    Options

I'm sat there for 30 seconds during my rest period but that's 4 sets of 30 seconds per exercise just "sat there" as it were. Last thing I'd want is someone to say I'm wasting their time by being on my phone where if I was just sat there recovering it wouldn't be a problem if you know what I mean.

I'm using my "old" (and now worthless due to advances in technology) smart phone now purely for gym app without a sim so calls/texts aren't a distraction or problem thankfully and if it breaks it breaks, it's worthless anyway :P

30 second breaks are one thing, sitting there and catching up on a few chapters in between sets is another issue. What further irks me is that he uses a piece of equipment that is unnecessary for what he's doing, there are other and actually better spots for him to curl.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always take my Kindle in and read while doing the elliptical.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone with me. I use it to listen to music and input my exercises on here right away before I forget what I did or how long. I run/ walk first, then bike for 20 more minutes. Usually when I'm biking I use my phone, either text, check out FB or MFP or play games lol. Just cuz I get so bored just sitting there for 20 minutes, I wanna do something else lol.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what app you use to regulate your sets ? I'm looking for a good one to use to assist me!!

I use iPTrainerHD for the iPad
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options

30 second breaks are one thing, sitting there and catching up on a few chapters in between sets is another issue. What further irks me is that he uses a piece of equipment that is unnecessary for what he's doing, there are other and actually better spots for him to curl.

Lol, I hate people who waste my time. I can that very well on my own, and don't need any help with it
  • saahild
    Options

Yeah I'm just trying to think why he thought it was a good idea to use the power rack to curl :S. I can't work out why it's required at all...

Major respect to people who can read or play games while doing cardio though. I get motion sickness if I try to do it from all the up down side to side motion
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I always have my smartphone on at the gym.... some of my best workouts happen when I get positive email notifications from my MFP pals! (Yes, I know it is weird that it takes complete strangers to motivate me!)

I also just got a Kindle Fire so I could read while on the elliptical and/or treadmill on non-super high intensity days!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I always have my smartphone on at the gym.... some of my best workouts happen when I get positive email notifications from my MFP pals! (Yes, I know it is weird that it takes complete strangers to motivate me!)

I also just got a Kindle Fire so I could read while on the elliptical and/or treadmill on non-super high intensity days!

Wish I could get a cell phone signal in the gym I go to now, I'm sure the darn thing is a bomb shelter with asbestos in the walls. I get no service at all!!! Can't get any updates :(
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use my phone for the music and the time, the little keyfob thingy the gym gives you records all the details of your sets/reps/calories etc so no need for an app.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    seeing chicks text on the treadmill lol

I'm logging my exercise on MFP! :wink:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    seeing chicks text on the treadmill lol

I am one of those chicks texting...my BFF's don't live in my town but we make "dates" to walk together to help motivate each other.
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    some of my best workouts happen when I'm reading a good book, listening to a great song or just receiving a motivating text or email from MFP! If I'm having an off day, there's netflix or games or even school work, who thought the gym could be so much fun!