Beef versus Chicken Broth

Options
I like to buy low sodium, natural beef and chicken broth. The more I cook with it, however, I have observed that I like chicken broth better! It seems like if I make a recipe, if it has chicken broth in it, I usually like it better. Is this just me?

Shannon

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Cooking with broth is always better. I even boil my rice in chicken broth instead of in water now. Makes the rice a whole lot tastier, might be a good tip if one is trying to get used to brown rice and isn't used to the flavor.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I like to buy low sodium, natural beef and chicken broth.

Where do you find this? I'm often forced to make my own. All the ones I have in the store are EXTREMELY high in sodium. Is there a particular brand you purchase?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    You can make your own very easily and cheaply. I don't really like store bought, homemade tastes so good. I boil it up and keep it in ziplock baggies in my freezer if i'm not using it immediately.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Me too. I also use chicken broth for my beef recipes. It seems to be lighter and doesn't take over the flavors like beef broth does. It seems like with chicken broth, the flavor of it just enhances other flavors, so whatever you are cooking remains in the foreground.

Homemade always taste better and the homemade beef goes good with the red meat dishes, but I've only made homemade broths a few times and, to me, it's not worth the extra effort.

My favorite flavored chicken broth is Campbell's condensed, but it is so extremely high in sodium, I quit using it and now use O Organics broths.
  • delilah47
    Options

Where do you find this? I'm often forced to make my own. All the ones I have in the store are EXTREMELY high in sodium. Is there a particular brand you purchase?

Low sodium by O Organics at Safeway are quite a bit less than the other broths.

O Organics low sodium chicken broth has 140mg sodium per cup vs. 510mg sodium for Swanson 33% less salt.

edit: sorry I didn't check my facts before I went and got the containers
  • Skeebee
    Options

O Organics low sodium chicken broth has 140mg sodium per cup vs. 510mg sodium for Swanson 33% less salt.

Thanks! No safeway here. :-( but, I'm sure I can look for the brand! :-)
  • delilah47
    Options

Thanks! No safeway here. :-( but, I'm sure I can look for the brand! :-)

@Skeebee
    hmm.. unfortunately, I believe O Organics is a Safeway brand :frown:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Swanson does make a "no salt added" chicken stock which is even lower sodium than the "33% lower Sodium" version. The flavor reflects the lack of salt too.

I think I like the "33% lower sodium" version the best. It's still salty, but the no salt added kind gets to be flavorless in some recipes.

I find it at Meijer, but I know that's a regional store, so it's probably not available everywhere.

Although, I do find that I don't use chicken broth and beef broth interchangeably. I notice a difference in flavor and prefer to use which ever is most appropriate for the recipe. I do however, use vegetable broth/stock interchangeably with the meat broths because I want to make a vegetarian dish without making it bland.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Swanson does make a "no salt added" chicken stock which is even lower sodium than the "33% lower Sodium" version. The flavor reflects the lack of salt too.

I think I like the "33% lower sodium" version the best. It's still salty, but the no salt added kind gets to be flavorless in some recipes

I use Swanson, but I believe I use the 33% lower sodium version. I don't salt my food until I sit down at the table, though. I figure, that allows for each guest to salt to taste.

Shannon
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to buy Kitchen Basics broth, but found that there was very little meat flavor to it, it was more like a vegetable broth. Now, I buy Pacific Organic broths, they taste a lot better and are low in sodium. The rest of the commercial brands, I consider to be salty junk. I always buy low sodium.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    I guess I would be worried about the ingredients. I'm slowly getting rid of the foods with extra "chemicals" and ingredients in them. I'll have to take a look. That stinks on the safeway exclusive. :-(