Exercise and Turbofire Question

Options
Hi everyone. I've been doing Turbofire for the last eight weeks, I start week 9 tomorrow. I've been supplementing with P90X strength workouts a few days a week. I just started running last week and really enjoy it. I would like to start running five days a week to start the long preparation for a marathon.

So my question is this: How do I incorporate running into my Turbofire schedule? This month in Turbofire concentrates on Hiit workouts, but on some days there are 45 and 55 minute cardio classes. Is it overkill to do both that and run a few miles in the same day? I also plan on doing the P90X strength workouts twice a week.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Running, P90X AND Turbofire is definitely too much. "Over-training" can lead to a lot of problems. If anything substitute the running for the longer DVDs.
  • clocklady
    Options
    The whole point is that I want to start running, not cut it out. Thanks, though.
  • clocklady
    Options
    Anybody else?
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Running, P90X AND Turbofire is definitely too much. "Over-training" can lead to a lot of problems. If anything substitute the running for the longer DVDs.

I took this to mean that you should do the running and not the DVDs. I agree that trying to do both is overtraining which can lead to injuries and exhaustion induced illness.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Not overkill at all if you fuel your body (READ: eat your exercise calories!). Your body will absolutely let you know when you've overdone it. I know people, including myself, that workout twice a day or for 2 hours a day and are doing just fine. I wouldn't run on the HIIT days because those really zap your energy (at least they do for me) but otherwise, if you can make the time to run and then do your videos - either splitting morning and evening workouts, or one after another - do it.

To let you know my schedule sometimes - I'll go to the gym, do an hour of cardio, 20 minutes or so of weights and then come home and do a TF workout. I eat at least half of my exercise calories back and drink lots of water and I feel great, am losing consistently and building stamina and strength.

Good luck to you!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options

This ^^^ If you want to run, just don't do the long DVD's on those days.
  • clocklady
    Options

My bad, I was reading this backwards. I'll do that, run instead of the long dvds. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • clocklady
    Options
    Ran my three miles this morning then tried to do a Hiit workout. My legs said no way. :) Guess I'll be doing mostly running this week!
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey, I wouldn't necessarily say it's over-training... as long as you have good nutrition. I'm doing something similar. I've already completed TurboFire and Insanity so at the moment I'm doing a combination of both, including the advanced strength training TF DVDs (Upper and Lower 20) some HIIT, and running about 3 x a week.

Like in one day I did HIIT 25, cycled to work (30 mins), cycled home then ran 4k. I felt fine as I had lots of protein and complex carbs in my diet. I would just make sure there's a gap of like, 8 hours between HIIT and running.
  • clocklady
    Options
    That's a good idea. Run in the morning and do the dvd in the evening. Thanks!