Exercise and weight loss (help!!)

Options
This is week three for me, but technically the beginning of week two since I started this site. I started a week before I found this site. I have been exercising 5-6 days per week on the elliptical at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes (now 40 mins). I have stuck to my daily caloric intake required for my goal weight, and in the three weeks I have gained four pounds and lost three pounds. I feel like I am taking two steps forward and one step back. I am very discouraged. What's up with that?

Replies

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 20
    Options
    This is week three for me, but technically the beginning of week two since I started this site. I started a week before I found this site. I have been exercising 5-6 days per week on the elliptical at a moderate intensity for 30 minutes (now 40 mins). I have stuck to my daily caloric intake required for my goal weight, and in the three weeks I have gained four pounds and lost three pounds. I feel like I am taking two steps forward and one step back. I am very discouraged. What's up with that?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't the same thing as fat loss. Weight is affected by MANY things, and can be a really poor indicator of progress. This month I gained a lb but lost an inch in my waist hehe :tongue: Measure yourself in inches and pictures, not pounds.
  • aleac10
    aleac10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat...
    and are you drinking enough water?
  • luckycat240
    Options
    yepp it's true muscle weighs more than fat
    but also ever heard of the book "you on a diet"?
    great book! it's gives you inside information on exactly what your body is thinking
    but back to the point, this book concentrates on the size of your waist vs. the weight of your body.
  • jgstephens
    Options
    I'm right there with you: week 3, not seeing the results I want. I know the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing but still...it's frustrating.

However, after the first ten days of feeling deprived and moody from lack of food I have noticed that it gets easier. I know if I choose well I can eat plenty and feel full. And the exercise. While I hate feeling obligated to go to the gym I always feel great when I leave. I think you just need to keep in mind that this is a life change to better your health (and, as a result that will affect your physical appearance), not a sprint to a weight-loss finish line.

Give it some time to allow the little changes that you can't perceive on a daily basis to add up. And know that once it comes off, with the lifestyle changes you've made, it will be easier to keep it off.