Barefoot runners?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious, do any of you run barefoot? Supposedly its actually better for your body than running with shoes, and barefoot runners actually are less likely to sustain running related injuries.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Just curious, do any of you run barefoot? Supposedly its actually better for your body than running with shoes, and barefoot runners actually are less likely to sustain running related injuries.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you were running on sand it would be okay, but I wouldn't want to risk getting my feet all cut up running on pavement. :noway:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I suppose someone, somewhere said it was a good idea..and there may even be a study which backs it up - but I personally would rather chew on chards of broken glass. Seriously - that seems so insane to me! :noway:

I am so curious now! I can't wait to check this post again....

In fact, i may just try this on a treadmill tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I suppose someone, somewhere said it was a good idea..and there may even be a study which backs it up - but I personally would rather chew on chards of broken glass. Seriously - that seems so insane to me! :noway:

I am so curious now! I can't wait to check this post again....

In fact, i may just try this on a treadmill tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
    If you try it tomorrow, maybe hold off on the broken glass bit. Unfamiliar footing could make you choke...:wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    cut up or turn an ankle. All it takes is one marble sized pebble in the wrong place.

Remember, our feet are designed for SPRINTING not for long runs, we don't balance all that greatly when we jog, nor are our bodies aligned very well for it. Running shoes eliminate much of this issue by providing almost 3 times the surface area that makes contact with the ground. Want proof? get a piece of construction paper, wet your foot (with a sponge, lightly) then step on it quickly. Look at the outline. You'll notice that almost 1/2 your foot doesn't make contact with the ground. now wet the bottom of a running shoe and do the same thing. Crazy, huh?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

doesn't pass the smell test for me....

I cant imagine running barefoot unless like Shannon said it is on sand

better for your body? twisted ankles..cut feet...I dont get it

so....no...I dont do it and will refuse to do it unless forced by angry mobs in the Amazon

since I have no plans to visit the Amazon soon...no
  • msarro
    Options
    Strangely though, arguably the world's greatest runners - Kenyans - run almost exclusively barefoot. I agree that the science doesn't seem to support it, but in practice the evidence is there.

It could be that so much use of bare feet makes them leathery and tough? The same concept exists in Shaolin Kung Fu, where repetitive impact toughens skin over time (ie: punching a piece of paper that's taped to a brick wall until you punch through the paper).
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Remember, our feet are designed for SPRINTING not for long runs, we don't balance all that greatly when we jog, nor are our bodies aligned very well for it.
    I'd be curious where you got this info.

I saw a production by NOVA that talked about man back in the good ol' days when he had to literally chase down his food. They said that man is designed for endurance and that way back when man actually ran his prey to death. Yep, you heard right....he would chase an animal (their example was an antelope) for so long that it would actually expire. Seems like they are built for speed and that you can actually run them till they die. I'm not stating this as fact....just repeating what they said on NOVA.

Edited to correct spelling.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Strangely though, arguably the world's greatest runners - Kenyans - run almost exclusively barefoot. I agree that the science doesn't seem to support it, but in practice the evidence is there.

I'd run fast too with a lion chasing me. :laugh:

I'm guessing they go without shoes frequently there so their feet are a lot tougher then ours. :huh:
  • msarro
    Options

I'm guessing they go without shoes frequently there so their feet are a lot tougher then ours. :huh:

I'm thinking thats the case. Plus since they're forced to grow up running barefoot, they learn to run with better form than people who have grown up with shoes protecting their feet. Shoes lead to improper running form, which leads to injuries.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Found the NOVA thing online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html

What I was talking about is in Chapter 3....just past the halfway point. Correction: They ran the animals to heat exhaustion not death....near death....close enough. :wink:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I do aerobics barefoot and it has helped strengthen the feet.

I have had the opportunity to spend time with refugees. One lady wore her shoes only for show. When she had to walk a long way she took them off. It is amazing how strong the feet are. I guess that is why they call us lazy and wimpy americans.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I'm thinking thats the case. Plus since they're forced to grow up running barefoot, they learn to run with better form than people who have grown up with shoes protecting their feet. Shoes lead to improper running form, which leads to injuries.

this is interesting..."shoes lead to improper running form"

I suppose hi heels or pumps might...but I dont wear those

where the heck are you getting this info? Fox News?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Remember, our feet are designed for SPRINTING not for long runs, we don't balance all that greatly when we jog, nor are our bodies aligned very well for it.
    I'd be curious where you got this info.

I saw a production by NOVA that talked about man back in the good ol' days when he had to literally chase down his food. They said that man is designed for endurance and that way back when man actually ran his prey to death. Yep, you heard right....he would chase an animal (their example was an antelope) for so long that it would actually expire. Seems like they are built for speed and that you can actually run them till they die. I'm not stating this as fact....just repeating what they said on NOVA.

Edited to correct spelling.

Anatomy of a human foot is designed to run on the ball of the foot, not the heel. When I say sprinting, I mean, running with a forward leaning posture, not so much an all out sprint, my bad for not explaining better. But I can see the nova special's point. I'm just going off of college Human Anatomy.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

WTH dave?

and to think I was beginning to like you.........:huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

WTH dave?

and to think I was beginning to like you.........:huh:

editing my post can change the obvious context
    if you want to quote me...take the whole quote.
    thank you
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oooookay.

I just showed the portion I was responding to. I didn't get the memo on quoting rules....
  • msarro
    Options

Yessis, M. Explosive Running, McGraw Hill, 2000.

Also,
    http://cs.gmu.edu/~pammann/barefoot99.html

Also,
    http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/barefoot.html

At least two are universities. Most of them cite Dr. Niel Sharkey as a source, however one is an article, the other is a book citation.

Sorry, fox news is absent. Its not that hard to believe that creating cushions on foot falls where there normally are none would change the way the foot works. It also allows for the foot to fall incorrectly... for instance, some people land on their heels when in shoes because the heavy padding allows them to do so comfortably. Yet doing so barefoot is terribly painful.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yessis, M. Explosive Running, McGraw Hill, 2000.

Also,
    http://cs.gmu.edu/~pammann/barefoot99.html

Also,
    http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/barefoot.html

At least two are universities. Most of them cite Dr. Niel Sharkey as a source, however one is an article, the other is a book citation.

Sorry, fox news is absent.

dang it
    ya got me :wink:
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Running barefoot seems like a painful idea. The idea behind it does make sense but I keep thinking shoes were created for a reason right? I am definitely curious, if someone tries it let us know how it goes. I on the other hand will be sticking to running in sneakers (unless I am on a beach). I have too much of a germ-phobia to run barefoot through my neighborhood. :noway: