What % of carbs, protein, and fat are best? And why?

Hi,

I've seen a lot of people say MFP sets things low, but also has an option to set things to meet your goals. But, what percentages are best for losing weight? I saw it's originally set on like 15% for my protein, and yeah that seems low. But, what's a good percentage? And why is that percentage better?

What are your percentages?

Replies

• I'd be interested in this also!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    I have been playing around w/ mine currently 40% protein 30% fats and 30% carbs
  • I'm no expert, but was advised by the nutritionist at my health club that the optional split for sustainable weight loss is 40:30:30 carbs:protein:fat, and I have seen that repeated on here many time. However, I've also seen lots of other ratios quoted! I try to stick to this (and have amended MFPs default to this), but I don't always successfully match them!

Good luck - whatever works for you is the best!!
  • None. Percents are not the best to go by.

1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    .35x body weight for g of fat
    rest in whatever you like(carbs!! yumm. Or more pro and fat)
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    If you google 'macronutrient ratio' you will get lots of websites that explain how/why different percentages are used for different reasons.

There is the 'zone diet', plus athletes, lifters etc prefer certain percentages.

I personally want to reduce fat in my diet and lower my carbs a little so therefore I achieve that by increasing my protein.

www.bodyrecomposition.com has some useful information

The USDA recommend

USDA: 18% protein, 29% fat, 53% carbohydrates

Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle author Tom Venuto recommends as a starting point:

Burn the Fat: 30% protein, 15-20% fat, 50-55% carbohydrates
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    I've read in two different places today that 40/40/20 is the way to go. That's protein/carbs/fats
  • I've been eating roughly 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat since the beginning of this year. I've definitely noticed that I've put on some muscle, and also lost about 4 lbs.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    None. Percents are not the best to go by.

^^AT LEAST this :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I shoot for 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat, but I'm much closer to 40/30/30.

I try to get at least 126g protein per day as this is my weight in lean mass. This is really the only important part of that unless you are an athlete.

So how do I calculate my Lean Body Mass? Thanks~
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Hi,

I've seen a lot of people say MFP sets things low, but also has an option to set things to meet your goals. But, what percentages are best for losing weight? I saw it's originally set on like 15% for my protein, and yeah that seems low. But, what's a good percentage? And why is that percentage better?

What are your percentages?

I believe that it is a very individual thing. I do best with about 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein and 10-20% carbs.

I am carb sensitive, so getting carbs from vegetables and a little fruit here and there works for ME.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    bump
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    It depends overall entirely on what your goals are. If you are trying to simply maintain LBM and reduce fat, there is one way of operating. If you hope to scorch fat away by building NEW muscle, there is a different approach. But, honestly, both involve high protein. Anywhere >1g per lb of LBM works, but many people just use 1g/lb of total body weight. I am one of them.

It is generally accepted that lower carb diets are often good for fat burn, but if you want to build muscle, it is more efficient with carbs. Personally, my dietary goals go like this:

a: workout days: 1g/lb of bodyweight in protein. Rest of calories 25/75% split (carbs/fat)
    b: rest days: protein same as above. carbs/fat flip-flopped in %

Carbs help provide high-intensity energy and assist in muscle synthesis, so if you're looking to improve strength, you can't go on a continuous nonstop deficit with low carbs and expect much. You need to cycle intake. If you're simply looking to melt away fat, no reason not to simply go low-carb, high protein, fat for all remaining cals and stick with it.

So how do I calculate my Lean Body Mass? Thanks~

You need to know your bodyfat %.

total weight * bodyfat% = fatmass
    total weight - fatmass = lean muscle mass.

It is okay to kind of guestimate if you don't know you body fat%
    I don't know mine exactly so I go for a minimum of 100g of protein at 120 lbs
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    My nutritionist and my trainer (when I was seeing them) both suggested 40/35/35 carbs/fat/protein so that's where I have set it. Seems to work for me.
  • I do 15% Fat, 55% Carbs and 30% Protein. Eating nothing but good fats.

It all depends on how much energy your exerting. I usually work out 2 times a day. So the carbs I intake aren't wasted. My numbers do fluctuate though. I try to shoot for these ranges though.
  • My nutritionist and my trainer (when I was seeing them) both suggested 40/35/35 carbs/fat/protein so that's where I have set it. Seems to work for me.

40+35+35 = 110% though xD
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    If you google 'macronutrient ratio' you will get lots of websites that explain how/why different percentages are used for different reasons.

There is the 'zone diet', plus athletes, lifters etc prefer certain percentages.

I personally want to reduce fat in my diet and lower my carbs a little so therefore I achieve that by increasing my protein.

The USDA recommend

The USDA is a joke. All they want to do is promote the use of grains to keep their own subsidies and agenda going.
  • Thanks a bunch. That helps alot!
  • If you google 'macronutrient ratio' you will get lots of websites that explain how/why different percentages are used for different reasons.

The USDA recommend

The USDA is a joke. All they want to do is promote the use of grains to keep their own subsidies and agenda going.

I agree, you definitely need more than 18% Protein in your diet lol....