Lean Cusisines, frozen meals in general

Options
Hi all - just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on lean cuisines, smart ones, etc. I usually have them maybe 3-5 times max per week. I know the sodium count is high, but I do like hot food for lunch and these help me control my portions. I noticed on another thread where someone asked for grocery shopping tips most folks did not include frozen meals. I rely on these a lot also because I'm single and don't like to cook big dinners - although I do love cooking. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

9229098.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'd eat them too. Especially when my bf is working. I know there really bad on sodium but I don't eat them all the time and when I do I drink loads of water
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i eat them. i dont' think they are evil like some people do. i dont' have time to prepare a big lunch for myself so i think it's ok.
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    i personaly dont think they are that that bad for you. depending on the type you get. They are great for portion control, just watch the fat content because even tho they are lower in calories, the fat can still be high. I would try to eat them in moderation. 3x a week doesnt sound bad! if you like hot lunches, why not do leftovers? you can put dinner from last night in tupperwear, foil etc and heat it up for a yummy , healthy lunch :)
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Cook the big dinners and portion them out in your freezer in containers, and take those to work. You'll know exactly what you are eating and it'll probably be healthier and spiced to your specifications.

Have fun cooking a couple of big meals a week so that you have a variety throughout the week for work.
  • joeharvey2k
    joeharvey2k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    --help me control my portions.

I tend to eat them nightly for this very reason. If it's within calories for the day I don't see an issue.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The sodium in some of them isn't too bad.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but I think they always taste HORRIFIC :( I try to avoid them at all costs. I'd rather cook something myself and freeze it for the next few days or something.
  • dschavers
    dschavers Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also eat them for lunch during the week. Just drink lots of water.
  • misslolachobble
    Options
    We used to get them here u.k but never saw them for years now my fave was glazed chicken with wild rice ,I still eat ready meals sometimes ,better than have a load oc choccy I suppose lol
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    I've been eating 2 Smart Ones/Lean Cuisine/Healthy choice meals, one for lunch & one for dinner.... for about 3 months now
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Your ticker says it all! Do what works for you!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time, I stick with the ones with lower fat, calories and sodium. Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice are the ones i buy the most.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    While you still have a lot left to lose they aren't a big deal you could be eating a lot worse. However as you get closer to those last 10 lbs you may find youself plateuing a lot. I'd cut the processed frozen stuff out of your diet at that point.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i ate them a lot when i was on a diet. still eat them occasionally; maybe twice a week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat them sometimes for convenience. I'm usually disappointed and not terribly satisfied, but I know a better meal is just a few hours away. The incredibly low protein in most of them is what bugs me most.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I ate them every night at work for dinner for years and years but over time I really got burnt out on them. I got to the point where the frozen meal sounded so bad that I'd leave it for another day and go eat out with other coworkers, completely defeating the purpose.

A couple of years ago I stopped buying them entirely and now cook big meals to take as leftovers instead. It's fun for me to cook but I understand not wanting to do it.

Now, whenever I see someone else at work eating a frozen meal I feel bad for them because my dinner always seems so much more appealing. I also manage to eat less late at night because I get enough to eat at dinner. The small portions in the frozen meals always left me feeling like I deserved more.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I prefer fresh food. I have a few in the freezer for the mornings I am TRULY in a rush and have no time to put something together.

They just taste so....blah.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    'eh, I don't think they taste very good. I generally try to cook extra when I make dinners so I can have left overs for lunch.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I keep them around because they're really convenient, and if I have one in the freezer, I'm way less likely to to call Domino's when I'm being too lazy too cook. Is it the best thing I could eat? No. But it's definitely not the worst.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I buy them frequently for lunches also! I like the portion control and some of them are quite tasty. Drink a big glass of water with it and you are set!