WEIGHTLIFTING NOOB HERE.

Options
I honestly get so confused when people talk about weight training. I'm thinking to get to the way I want to look when I'm at goal I'll have to seriously look at learning this stuff.
What's a rep, a set, how many reps in a set, how many sets, how much weight, breathe in when you lift, exhale when you lift, how often do you lift???????????????? ARRRRRRGH!!!! Seriously, I have no clue where to start and all this talk sounds like jibberish to me. Would a personal trainer help and how much do they cost at like a fitness center?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I can only answer some of your questions! But at least I want to get you started.

Rep = repetition. How many times you repeat a move.
    Set = Full set of repetitions.
    Exhale when you lift, inhale as you bring back down (usually).
    Start with every other day with lifting. Work upper body one day, lower body the next. Or work total body and rest the next day.
    As for how much, I need that answered too!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Hey Paul!

A rep is a repition meaning a cycle of the exercise. For a bicep curl (just a simple example) once up with weight then back down is a rep. A set is a collection of reps. The number of reps in a set varies, but for people who lift heavy, you should be able to do no more than 8-10 reps per set to exhaustion (meaning you cannot possibly lift another).

Your best bet if you've never lifted before is to work with a good trainer who can help you with your form, breathing, and ensuring you are doing the exercise properly. Maintaining proper form is critical to avoid injury and make the best of your workout.

I'd also suggest doing a little reading also. Do a google search for lifting programs for beginners and start there.

Don't be intimidated! Lifting is a lot of fun and has incredible health benefits as well.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I honestly get so confused when people talk about weight training. I'm thinking to get to the way I want to look when I'm at goal I'll have to seriously look at learning this stuff.

you should start looking into this stuff now. it'll help you get to that goal.

a calorie deficit and just cardio does not a body make.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend you pick up a copy of Starting Strength.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend you pick up a copy of Starting Strength.

I second this. It was one of the first book's I've read on weight training and it's still one of the best.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

That's kind of what I've been feeling. I'm going to do another round of Insanity, would like to drop another 20 pounds then start weight training. Would P90X be an alternative or do you have to have muscles first to achieve those results. I'm still kinda flabby but I felt my sternum for the first time the other night!!!!!!!!!!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules or Mark Rippetoe. And lots of people here like http://www.bodybuilding.com/

Do it!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

That's kind of what I've been feeling. I'm going to do another round of Insanity, would like to drop another 20 pounds then start weight training. Would P90X be an alternative or do you have to have muscles first to achieve those results. I'm still kinda flabby but I felt my sternum for the first time the other night!!!!!!!!!!!

Start lifting now. More cardio + calorie deficit = more lean body mass lost. You're best bet is to start a lifting program now, kickin' up your protein intake, and doing some cardio, but not overtraining. Remember the more lean mass you have, the higher your BMR will be going forward, making it easier for you to maintain a calorie deficit and burn fat. The more lean mass you lose, the stricter your diet has to get going forward and the more "skinny fat" you will look (flabby, loose skin, etc.). Putting muscle back on is not trivial.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Books like Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting are recommended a lot. Also, there are websites like bodybuilding.com where you can get some good information.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115643271

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm just some chick on the internet but I vote you weight train now, rather than wait. It keeps burning cals after the workout, fab way to lose fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm just some chick on the internet but I vote you weight train now, rather than wait. It keeps burning cals after the workout, fab way to lose fat.

I'm just a dude on the internet who agrees with this chick on the internet.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    sound's like you got your answers, most of them. I learned when I was a teen and found what works for me. I work different muscle groups in three workouts. Chest ant triceps one day, back and biceps the other and the legs and shoulders the 3rd. I lift enough that it's hard to get the last rep up. and I usually just do 3 sets of 8 reps. I've had trainers do different things but that's what works for me.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick on the internet who agrees with the dude on the internet who agrees with the chick on the internet. I agree with the book suggestions and would add two possible resources not already listed: The book Body for Life is good and the website Nerdfitness.com. Both very accessible for newbies. Best of luck and congrats on seeing the light with lifting early! Never too soon to start.