Food Restrictions Due to IBS

Options
About 6 years ago I started to experience problems with many foods that I ate. I've always been able to eat what I wanted and have no stomach problems or anything and then it suddenly started.

After many years of tests, trials and painful nights (and days), I've ended up with a fairly limited list of foods that don't normally cause problems (although they like to rear their ugly head for a surprise sometimes). It's such a list that when people ask me what I can't eat, it's easier to tell them what I can eat. Unfortunately, most of the items on the list aren't super healthy and the majority of things that are healthy kill my stomach and guts.

Does anyone else suffer from a limited diet and how do you manage with prepping healthy, tasty and interesting meals?

Without listing everything, basically I can't eat greens (lettuce included), whole grains, high fibre items, tons of other fruits & veggies. I keep trying but I am not a fan of the majority of fish and even fish gives me problems sometimes. I find that by not being able to eat healthy grains, fruits and veggies, it's hard to create healthy meals and not starve.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, fiber appears to be a trigger for you. That sucks!

What really helped my symptoms was drinking more water and exercise. I have trouble with a lot of starches, personally. But I can have most fruits and vegetables (except potato or corn).

Wish I could help more.
    Have you looked into protein shakes? Ones really high in protein and little else. It might be enough to supplement your food so you don't have to go hungry!
  • lbusch84
    lbusch84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, fibre and me are not friends :(

I've upped my water and exercise but nothing seems to change my issues. I've started taking a supplement called H.I.T. (Healthy Intestinal Tract) which is common for people who are travelling, etc and I've noticed my attacks aren't as bad, but its not a huge difference.

I currently drink MonaVie RVL shakes for breakfast in the morning and it keeps me full until 11-11:30, and is crazy delicious :P The problem with many protein shakes that I find is they contain whey or soy protein and in so many of them the level is too much for me as I can't really handle too much of either of those. I'm going to keep looking. Has anyone tried that Body by Vi stuff?