drinking cola etc makes a good diet futile!

Options
2»

Replies

• HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to Labrat, she knows what she's talking about!

And regardless of what you eat or drink, there is nothing so bad that it will cancel out all the other good things you eat.
    I mean - if you drink Coke and eat nutrient rich food you're certainly going to be healthier in the long term than drinking Coke and eating low-nutrient food.

this is true....I am an embalmer so I can tell you this...Stomach acid IS Hydrochloric acid and if it were to escape your stomach and get into your body....it would kill you, so I don't think soda is stronger than Hydrochloric acid...I haven't researched it, but that's my opinion
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you can I think you should try and give up the soda. It is really hard for one week. I stopped end of Jan and will allow myself some on occasion. The only time I have had any so far is a few sips at the movies one time since Jan 29.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i am going to ask bob harper on biggest loser
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've cut back to one soda a day, usually a coke zero at supper time, and I've still managed to lose plenty of weight. I know that soda isn't the best thing to drink, but I also get in 14-16 cups of water each day too. Eventually I may give up soda for good, but for now I like my coke zero.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    No expert, but I'm pretty sure the stomach is more acidic than soda. I don't think a soda is powerful enough to do that.

Actually, soda is one of the most acid things that we put into our bodies. On the pH Scale diet soda is more acid than battery acid. Reason #1 I stopped drinking soda.

I do drink seltzer though which is carbonated.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    i try to limit myself to one a day.

Me too. I like having one with dinner.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If its diet soda, utter rubbish. I drink plenty of it, I get cut to ribbons for comps. Not true.

Do I look like diet drinks stopped me losing fat?

15809555_8581.jpg

IMO just people blaming something because their diet isn't in check.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    lost 54 pounds all while drinking Dt moutain dew on a daily basis....I will say I cut back significantly over the past year, however I have yet to see how it impacted my loss.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    diet carbonated beverages and caffeine contribute to reflux, and that's about it.

one can have worse vices than diet soda.

also, take what you read in "natural" blogs with a tablespoon of salt. a lot of them are are written by folks with little to no formal background in chemistry / immunology / biology. some of their anti-vax stuff is beyond facepalm.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I'm pretty sure the stomach is more acidic than soda. I don't think a soda is powerful enough to do that.

Actually, soda is one of the most acid things that we put into our bodies. On the pH Scale diet soda is more acid than battery acid. Reason #1 I stopped drinking soda.

So are you saying it would be "safer" to drink battery acid than diet soda? <joking of course> No one would do that? would they?

Battery Acid - 0.5
    Stomach acid 1-2
    Diet Coke 3.2
    Selzer 4.00 (Depending on amount of co2 other minerals and what ph the water is)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Is your friend a registered dietician? No? Then maybe take what he says with some skepticism and do your own research.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

This is false. Well... actually, I don't know what the pH of battery acid is... but the pH of our stomachs is pH 2. I've actually measured the pH of diet coke. It was 3.35. Stomach wins.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    One question for all you anti-diet cokers out there...

Do you drink alcohol?

Yes? You're putting a poison into your body. You do know that, right?

What's that? You drink it in moderation, so it's not that bad?

What is moderation? A drink every night? Every few nights? On special occasion?

Diet coke (diet mt. dew, diet anything) is not the boogieman. Really. I personally think alcohol is worse... but the occasional consumption of alcohol hasn't killed anyone. Alcohol only becomes a problem when consumed chronically or in high amounts (or if you're stupid enough to get in a car while drunk... or to do some other unsafe activity while your physical and mental abilities are impaired).