Bananas... Yes or no!?

Options
2»

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Those ads are trying to get you to click by saying something outrageous that you can't believe. Don't believe them. I wouldn't click on ads that try to manipulate you that way, either.
  • kristi_asco
    Options
    i eat bananas all the time! theyre great for after a workout because they replenish your potassium which is needed in building muscle! and they're delicious too :smile:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. For a while I had completely given up banana's and I used to eat 1 about everyday. I heard all about the carbs AND about the sugar.....and yes it kind of alarmed me. But for me, now I realize sugars in fruits and veggies aren't really the culprit. It's all the processed sugars and I am very careful about that. Fruit and veggies, they're good for you (and me too!) :tongue:
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt you could eat enough bananas to endanger your health from over potassium... my MIL has that issue, and it is caused by her medications.

Yams, potatoes, and carrots also contain potassium.

I love bananas... have some every day, generally.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Me likey APPLE BANANAS...yummerooski!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day for a mid morning snack. I know they have sugar and carbs, but they are also packed with potassium and fiber - I like the boot they give me to get through to lunch. If all you are worrying about is a calorie deficit, I would still eat them. :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I only eat my bananas frozen so that my body burns more calories while heating them up.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie. For a while I had completely given up banana's and I used to eat 1 about everyday. I heard all about the carbs AND about the sugar.....and yes it kind of alarmed me. But for me, now I realize sugars in fruits and veggies aren't really the culprit. It's all the processed sugars and I am very careful about that. Fruit and veggies, they're good for you (and me too!) :tongue:

THIS! I limit my sugar intake, unless its from fruit and veggie sources (w/ all the fruit and veggies i eat, i almost always go over my limit). So enjoy your bananas!! (as i typed this i saw the banana ad as well).
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Weird Al Yankovic can't be wrong:

Have a banana, have a whole bunch
    It doesn't matter what you had for lunch
    Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
    Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i eat my bananas... wait... that doesn't sound right.

i meant the fruit. :P
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    lol I suppose every little bit counts..... :p

I only use frozen bananas in my smoothies so I don't have to use any milk.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Be careful as you can overdose on potassium! I wouldn't do more than one or two a day! Potassium overdose affects your heart.

A large banana provides 487 mg of this mineral, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database. The daily requirement for potassium is 4,700 mg, so to even exceed the RDA you would have to eat more than 10 bananas in a single day. There is no recommended safe upper limit, but I'd say it's safe to assume eating 11 or 12 a day would be okay! :bigsmile:
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with eating whole foods!!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Why am I seeing an advertisement on the side of these pages with a banana and a caption..... "Foods you should never eat". Should I be eating bananas in my effort to lose weight?? I have one a day and sometimes 2. Should I be avoiding them?

People trying to make Money. Really. That is the bottom line. To lose weight reduce intake (of calories) and/or increase outflow (exercise). Intake should include a relatively balanced diet (even with a few sweets here and there)... Essentially, find out what you should be doing to MAINTAIN the weight YOU WANT TO BE and do it. That way, you don't have to change anything when you get there. Some days will be over that amount and other days less... That is ok. Sometimes a little jump start of the metabolism may help but for the most part, balance the intake to outflow and we should have the desired results. Why do we want to lose weight? To be healthy... Therefore we should eat healthy. (looking good is a great side benefit as well)...
  • cjones0992
    cjones0992 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for you, those ads with statements like "Number 1 secret to lose 20 lbs in 2 days" are just crap. Just ignore them :)