carbs

Options
When I filled in my information to begin, it showed the proportions of calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc. that I should be trying to follow.

I am hypoglycemic and find that a low carb diet is best for my sugar levels. And because I have asthma, I need to stay low on wheat and dairy foods. I try to get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables, and I feel better that way, but what I want to know is if I do not, cannot, eat as many carbs as recommended, is it going to slow down my progress?

I know you can't cut your calories too low or your body thinks you're starving and holds on to the weight you're trying to lose. It's just that when I have followed diets to the letter, before, including carbs, I was not only miserably stuffed, I GAINED a pound a day!

Replies

• blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat brown rice, black beans, chick peas, etc? If so, along with the fruit and veg you should be getting plenty of healthy carbs. I wouldn't worry too much as long as your carbs are clean, whole foods.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    The number given is just a recommendation. As long as you aren't dangerously low, you will be fine.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you're hyPOglycemic then you should be eating a reasonable amount of carbs to keep those glucose levels up. Do you mean you're hyPERglycemic (pre diabetic?)

Regardless, the MFP macro settings are based on government recommended amounts. You can consult with your doctor about how much you should be eating and manually change it in MFP (go to 'goals' --> change goals --> custom).
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    MFP default settings are high on carbs and low on protein and fat.

Check out marksdailyapple.com for a low carb food plan that fits your dietary needs for less wheat and dairy. You can customize your macro settings (protein, carbs, fats, etc.) on MFP to anything you want to help you stay on track for your food plan. I currently have mine at 25% carbs, 30% protein, and 45% fat, which gives me 75 g carbs at 1200 calories, and roughly 100 g when I account for an average amount of exercise calories.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My carbs are set at around 100 per day and it's helping me a lot with my insulin resistance. In my opinion, anything under 50 is too low, 100 works great for me.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When I filled in my information to begin, it showed the proportions of calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc. that I should be trying to follow.

I am hypoglycemic and find that a low carb diet is best for my sugar levels. And because I have asthma, I need to stay low on wheat and dairy foods. I try to get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables, and I feel better that way, but what I want to know is if I do not, cannot, eat as many carbs as recommended, is it going to slow down my progress?

I know you can't cut your calories too low or your body thinks you're starving and holds on to the weight you're trying to lose. It's just that when I have followed diets to the letter, before, including carbs, I was not only miserably stuffed, I GAINED a pound a day!

You can change the amount it says to eat. I have mine set for about 100g of carbs a day. If low carb is what works for you, then you should do that. Eating bread and other processed carbs are not necessary to be healthy. I did Atikins for the last 2 years and loved it, the only reason I stopped was because I got tired of cooking pastas and other carby food for my BF and throwing most of it away. I still make sure my carbs are lower then what most people eat (most days I'm under the 100 g I have it set for, closer to 50g)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think if you are hitting your calorie target first and foremost, things will be just fine.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    No, lowering your carbs will not slow your weight loss. It may even help.
  • KitchenBabe
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. Yes, I do mean hypoglycemic; it was a family diagnosis when I was just a kid--my mom, my brother and me, and that was what we were told to do--high protein, low carb (most of the carbs coming from fruits and vegetables.) While I haven't always eaten that way, I should have, and I do feel so much better when I do.

I still stick to complex carbs as much as i can--brown rice, beans, old fashioned oatmeal, barley, things like that. I'm trying to clean up my system again, because the more 'white' carbs I eat, the more I want, and it is a truly vicious circle. Ive begun by simply cutting in half whatever I would eat, eating slowly, and usually finding that it's all I need to be comfortably full. Even at buffets, I have one plateful of food and no dessert, and I feel good about that.

I think, maybe, rather than tinkering with settings I will stick to the calorie target, and eating only enough to be comfortable...I never want to feel stuffed again.