The absolute unbreakable rule that will guarantee weight los

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Eat less, move more.

How you do it is irrelevant. Low carb, high carb, low fat, Atkins, Dukan, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Paleo, eating clean, Subway diet, whatever. They can all be broken down to that one simple rule.

Now to keep healthy don't drop below 1200 for women and 1400 for men NET calories. Yes it's an arbitrary number but your body needs fuel to function. You can drop below that of you wish, it will slow your metabolism by 10% but that's your choice.

What time you exercise, how often you eat and how much water you drink are up to you. Ultimatly it's all details that will work for some, not for others. Do what you can follow for the rest of you life.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    With one addition:

Eat less, more more. Keep doing it.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eat enough, move more.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I agree with that phrase for general better health but not for guaranteed weight loss. It's too simplistic.

It's quite possible to "eat less and move more" but still be in a caloric surplus, especially if you're used to eating big meals and not used to moving much. It's too easy to eat less but not less enough, and to move more but not more enough.

The better rule is this:

Maintain a caloric deficit.

And the best way to do that is measure carefully and log.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the eat less, move more movement! I don't eat all of my exercise calories though, I'm never that hungry. I'm barely hungry enough to eat the allotted 1500. I used to force myself to eat all of my exercise calories, and I gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks! Now that I do what my body wants, I have lost 6 lbs in two weeks. So I don't agree with eating ALL of or even most of your exercise calories back. It just doesn't work for everyone.
  • Jbass7
    Options
    As cliche'd as this may be, I think you are incredibly inspirational and if there's ONE persona advice I would take, it's a woman eho's lost 29kilos, you are a genuine champion.!!!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the eat less, move more movement! I don't eat all of my exercise calories though, I'm never that hungry. I'm barely hungry enough to eat the allotted 1500. I used to force myself to eat all of my exercise calories, and I gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks! Now that I do what my body wants, I have lost 6 lbs in two weeks. So I don't agree with eating ALL of or even most of your exercise calories back. It just doesn't work for everyone.

Please edit out the stuff about exercise calories.... It'll help ensure this thread remains civil j/k :laugh:
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh, and drink water.

Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Move it move it move it....
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the world's population can not break that rule. It would take someone very special, like my best friend, to break that rule. She broke her pinkie by a FOAM dodgeball being thrown at her.

She can probably break the rule. Eat a lot, sleep all day. <NO ONE FOLLOW THAT RULE!
  • Lozze
    Options
    As cliche'd as this may be, I think you are incredibly inspirational and if there's ONE persona advice I would take, it's a woman eho's lost 29kilos, you are a genuine champion.!!!

Thank you! When I first started I added some wonderful women who had lost loads of weight and were inspired by them. Now my numbers are getting up there I'm getting a lot of people adding me for the same reason. It's humbling and if I can inspire someone to lose their weight and then go on and inspire others I'm repaying back the kindness shown to me at the start of my journey. (now lets get off that seninental crap ;-p)
    Please edit out the stuff about exercise calories.... It'll help ensure this thread remains civil j/k

Exactly why I didn't even mention them!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I would say it is eat right, move often :P
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think you may mean eat fewer calories, not eat less. I'm eating fewer calories but more food, greater volume.

There's actually a book that addresses this, "Volumetrics' by Barbara Rolls (whose name makes me think of food!)

Also, Dr. Dean Ornish published "Eat More, Weigh Less," which sounds improbable, but again, it has to do with quality of calories.

So, for people who like to eat more food, you may be in for a good surprise. There are ways to eat more food, but weigh less in the end.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Thank you! When I first started I added some wonderful women who had lost loads of weight and were inspired by them. Now my numbers are getting up there I'm getting a lot of people adding me for the same reason. It's humbling and if I can inspire someone to lose their weight and then go on and inspire others I'm repaying back the kindness shown to me at the start of my journey. (now lets get off that seninental crap ;-p)

This is true. When I first started at the gym this lady came up to me and said "I've lost 28kgs so far. If I can do it, so can you."

At the time I was actually a bit "what the f....?"

Now, I'm really glad she took the time. She really inspired me.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Please edit out the stuff about exercise calories.... It'll help ensure this thread remains civil j/k :laugh:

Yeah i've noticed that's a pretty taboo subject around here. I don't necessarily disagree with it if that is what works for you. I tried it, and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Maybe it will later on, but for now I will do what works for me right now :)
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

I used to believe that common-sense theory too..........
  • Lozze
    Options
    I used to believe that common-sense theory too..........

Well based on your diary you're ignoring the 'fuel your body' part of my post. You are under 1200 calories every day for the past week. Try eating more (say 1400 calories) and see if it improves after six weeks.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Some of us have hormonal issues that make the eating less and moving more ineffective. There is so much more to the story than just that.

However, those are the two biggest components in the equation for most of the population. I just think it's a little self righteous to say that self discipline is all there is and nothing else matters.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Now to keep healthy don't drop below 1200 for women and 1400 for men NET calories. Yes it's an arbitrary number but your body needs fuel to function. You can drop below that of you wish, it will slow your metabolism by 10% but that's your choice.

You can lose more than 10%.
    Shoot, just starting to diet from a previous high quantity down to true maintenance can drop 10%, perhaps that is where the rumor started.

Here is a real case study, more can be found on line. Her metabolism was suppressed by 26%.
    And even during recovery, she lost fat.

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Eat enough, move more.

THIS^^^^!!! The ultimate truth
  • Court222010
    Options
    Everyone is so nit-picky on these message boards; I wish some people would just relax!! Obviously there's more to weight loss than those 4 words, but it's a general statement to summarize how to successfully lose weight. OP, great post! Simple, sweet, to the point. I totally support the eat less, move more movement! :happy:
  • Lozze
    Options
    Some of us have hormonal issues that make the eating less and moving more ineffective. There is so much more to the story than just that.

However, those are the two biggest components in the equation for most of the population. I just think it's a little self righteous to say that self discipline is all there is and nothing else matters.

Well for the majority of the population that is what it comes down to.

You've also assumed I don't have a hormonal issue. I do. Suffered from PCOS since I was 11 (estimate by my Gyno when I was diagnosed at 19) It makes it harder. Doesn't make it impossible.