Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

Options
MaryD4900
MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
Made this tonight and it was really good. I used extra broth to make it more soupy. I was worried how it would turn out because I have never used a lot of the ingredients before, but the flavors blended really well together.

With my modifications, I estimated it makes 9 servings at 146 calories each. So even if you have two big bowls it comes out to less than 300 calories.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kathleen-daelemans/asian-chicken-noodle-soup-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
4 tablespoons soy sauce (I used about 2 TB)
2 tablespoons mirin (I used 3 TB)
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, plus 1 teaspoon (I used 1 tsp)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sugar (I used 1.5 TB)
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese chile paste (I used 1 tsp of sriracha)
8 cups chicken broth (I used 12 cups of broth-actually 12 c. of water and 3 TB of Better than Bouillon chicken base)
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into thin strips
4 cups chopped Chinese vegetables or Napa cabbage (I used Bok choy)
1 (5-ounce) package rice noodles, prepared according to packing directions (I used 6-ounce package of Hokun rice sticks)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
6 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
Directions
Mix soy sauce, mirin, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, and chile paste in a small bowl.

Heat the broth in a medium saucepan. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chicken, and the vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for two minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Pour over prepared Chinese noodles. Garnish with cilantro and scallions.

***I used 5 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins. I'm not sure how many ounces that it, so your calories may differ according to how much chicken you use. I also added sliced mushrooms which were really good.

Replies

• rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What kind of mushrooms did you add? This looks great!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sounds sooo good! Thanks for sharing!
  • MaryD4900
    Options
    What kind of mushrooms did you add? This looks great!

I just used white button mushrooms... they were on sale at Publix this week so I stocked up :)
  • MaryD4900
    Options
    After I plugged this into the recipe builder I realized it is really high in sodium, but I used regular soy sauce and chicken base. I would definitely recommend using reduced-sodium for those ingredients if you can