Potassium? If you say eat a banana, I'll punch you

Options

Replies

• cherriechiu
    Options
    Fish is pretty high in potassium. 3 ounces of Tilapia has more potassium than bananas and it's only 81 calories.

1 cup of red potatoes has nearly 2x the potassium than bananas and it has only 18 more calories (and would probably make you feel much more full).
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Unless you hate the taste of banana, I take your challenge and say BANANA while motioning you to bring it!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have loads of potassium
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are both good sources.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My Mom has kidney failure and is restricted to a low potassium diet. The foods she is not supposed to eat because of their potassium/phosphate content are very surprising.

A lot of good lists here, I just wanted to add a word about potatoes. They have a good amount of potassium but be sure you are including the skin.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that USDA link. Amazing that bananas don't show up until the very end of page 2!!!

And OJ concentrate... go ahead and eat the entire can. :sick: HAHA Funny Gov't folks. :huh:
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A serving of V8 has 2,000mg of potassium. your multivitamin should have about 600mg

sweet potatoes
    beets and beet greens (the greens have some of the most highest potassium counts!)
    spinach
    tomatoes
    citrus
    apples (I like jazz apples)
    butternut squash (low calorie, high potassium)
    turnip greens
    kohlrabi
    watermelon radishes
    red beans, black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, garbanzo beans... BEANS!!!
    carrots
    celery
    eggs
    greek plain yogurt
    mushrooms
    berries

really do I need to list anymore?
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I saute up spinach a LOT and scramble it into eggs (I've learned to love it), and I also make a pasta dish with it, (I sautee it with a dash of white wine and garlic) and add sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and a dash of asiago.
    Romaine seems to have quite a lot. Tonight I had a huge salad, logged three servings of romaine and it reads 630 for that.
    Half a cup of black beans is 305.
    8 oz of coffee has 116.
    Dave's Killer Bread: (great, lots of vitamins and minerals) 120
    Jazz apples: 170 (not sure about other apples, I'm pulling the numbers from my diary)
    Baby carrots, 6 oz: 540
    1 medium Bosc pear: 210
    Activia yogurt: 150
    I've noticed since I've started logging on MFP that my potassium levels are consistently low. When I looked up the effects of low potassium, it definitely clicked for me that it's been a long term problem for which I never understood the source. I try really hard to keep my levels up-spinach jumpstarts it for me, the romaine, and usually some low sodium V8 (820), along with the foods with a little lower numbers.
    Hope that helps!

Edit to add: Raw spinach has 167 mg- I eat that, too, but when I need a potassium boost, I saute it because the potassium level for sauteed spinach is so much higher-802 per cup. I have read beet greens have somewhere in the 1,200 range per cup, but I haven't tried them yet.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I just take a Potassium pill and call it a day.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    gatorade

Actually, the potassium in gatorade is negligible.. pedialyte is much better. Or oranges. Or spinach (raw).
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time with supplements. I guess by law (at least in the US) they can't have more than 99 mg. I drink low-sodium V8.
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Apricots and potatoes (not necessarily together ;p).
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, tomatoes...lotsa choices in food. Electrolyte drinks, etc.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    apples, potatoes, milk, yogurt, raisins, oranges

Do not take a potassium suppliment without consulting your doctor. It could have serious reprocussions!

I wanted to quote this! And it's true! Too high potassium levels can shut down your organs and/or kill you. I was told this b/c I was on potassium supplements before. I wasn't getting enough of it, but I also couldn't have too much. Make sure you talk to your doctor first about supplements.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried coconut water with malibu rum you haven't lived... :drinker:
  • kmaurath
    kmaurath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While I am absolutely loving MFP, I do find that often potassium gets left off the nutritional information for food choices I am selecting out of the database. If you are incorporating the foods that the above posters listed, you are probably fairing better than you think. Good luck!
  • lebhardt
    Options
    You can easily get plenty of potassium by using Morton's Lite Salt in place of regular salt. It balances sodium and potassium. Or if you don't wish to have the sodium, use No Salt seasoning. It's all potassium.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    banana
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    celery
    strawberries
    coffee
    all LOW calorie