Any Ruggers Out There?

Options
Howdy, y'all!

I have recently started playing the wonderful sport that is rugby for my university and I am looking to see if anyone else does too! If so please add me!

I play wing currently, and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for exercising to get "rugby-fit". I have started running as much as possible for as long as possible with intervals of sprints per my position. I also lift weights. My bench is 85lb, squat is 85lb, row is 55lb, and deadlift is 75lb. And I do some endurance swimming (3-5 miles) for general fitness, weather permitting!

I am also eating at a deficit and low-carb, and was wondering if anyone else does this as well.

I love this sport, and it is the first sport I've ever played! Any and all advice is welcome.

Replies

• littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have no actual advice, but my boyfriend plays uni rugby. He is a front rower, so he does all the different types of weights you can do at the gym and as heavy as he can while being able to get to reps of 10.

Between you and me (and the rest of MFP) - he is still trying to work on his food intake.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i played in college. i loved it and am thinking about joining a group here.

anyway, i'd say in rugby you want to work more on your power (strength and speed) so add in some plyometric exercises like box jumps, burpees, and plyometric pushups.

when i played i didnt even think about calories, but then again at that time i wasn't overweight. once i started playing rugby i definitely had to increase my calories to stay at the same weight which i needed to do when i played prop and i was about 40 pounds lighter than the average prop.