UK Sport Relief "mile"

Options
Hello all!

Just wondering if any of you are doing the Sport Relief "mile"?!

If so where at and which "one"?!

(They do 1 mile, 3 mile and 6 mile)

We're doing a local 6 mile one as a course just before we graduate as Air Traffic Controllers from HM Forces! Really looking forward to it and just wanted to see if anyone's training for it or just runs in general?

I run anyway (typically around 10-14Km per training sesh with cross training too), but want to get a decent time so looking for fellow runners to help keep all our training on track! I'd love to do it sub 49 minutes!

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Market Harborough 6 mile. I'm excited. It will be my first event / race thingummy.

I'm running it with some of the other academics at work. Some of them will come in under 50 minutes, but there's no way I will. I was originally intending to run all the way round - that was my goal. But now I've done the distance, so I know I can, and I'm hoping to get in in under 70 minutes, which I know is pathetic, but at my weight, I think I'll be doing ok if I can manage that.

I still have a month to train, so want to get my distances up a bit more, as that seems to be a key issue for me at this staging in my running life, in terms of bringing my speed up.

So I'm not quite what you're looking for in motivational terms, but yes, I'm doing it and yes, I'm keen and serious about it! :-)

(PS Don't buy the socks! They're awful!)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's a drop-back week in my Marathon training so I might use the Lee Valley 6-miler for some last-minute speed. It's a lovely route!

By "speed" I mean hoping to improve on my last 80 minute 10K, so it's all relative :tongue:
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing the Marlow 3 mile one, we're aiming to get up to 6 miles this year but March is a bit too soon. We're doing a 5 mile road race in Marlow in May though, so the Sport Relief race fits nicely into our training.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Cool good efforts guys and gals! Will be sending out a positive vibe forum post on the day to wish you all the best of luck although am sure you'll all smash it and get what you want from it! :) Also...what socks Meerkat!?!?!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    When you sign up they ask you if you want to buy a pair of their socks - they're supposed to be running socks. They're red, with the sports relief emblem on them, and I needed running socks so thought 'why not'.

Well, when they arrived, they look nice on the outside. But the inside is just loose strands from the embroidery on the outer, all over the place. I haven't tried them, as they just looked like foot chafing wrapped in elastane to me.

At £5 a pair, I'd expected at least a basic single layer running sock. I hadn't expected miracles or anything but those were really pants!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Aha, I'll just be wearing my own regular running kit methinks!

:) Hopefully the people finishing work checking in will see this post now! :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    So.... is anyone else doing this?