Noob gains - How long does it last?

Options
Basically what I said up there. I've been lifting weights since just before Christmas, and have so far been very pleased with my results, but have heard conflicting accounts of how long newbie lifters can go on gaining muscle without eating a surplus (I'm currently eating at a maintenance level, but making sure I get 1g of protein per lb body weight).

So, can anybody help me clear this one up? Should I start eating more now, and if so, roughly how much more is optimal?

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am doing Stronglifts and I find that I am still making gains in most exercises after a while of being on the program and eating a small deficit, but hitting my 1 to 1.25 grams of protein per pound of LBM. I am starting to miss on BP and having to relift, but have still broken through plateaus on the program so far. Mehdi who designed the program says just get your protein in and make your lifts and you will continue to build muscle and lose fat... a bit against conventional wisdom, but so far, so good for me.

If you are lookig for advice: if what you are doing is working, keep doing it until it stops working.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    its all genetics.

I believe 2 month. For about 5-15lbs. of muscle.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It varies based on genetics and how good your routine is.

You can probably gain fat and lose muscle for at least 4 months, I doubt it could last a whole year.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It varies based on genetics and how good your routine is.

You can probably gain fat and lose muscle for at least 4 months, I doubt it could last a whole year.
    yeah after that you get like 5-10lbs of muscle lol. And always hit plateaus and have to change excercises, routine etc. I didnt get there yet. still enjoying newbie gains :P
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    I've heard a year batted about, but I don't know. Intuition would tell me it would last until you have gained an amount of muscle that is noticable but not "big". I.E., looking toned vs. looking downright muscular because at that point you are building significant mass and would require the extra calories. If it takes you 2 months or 4 months or 8 months to get that point...

Over the past year or so I've gone in cycles where I'm exercising for 3, then off for 3 and then back on and because of that I've seen significant gains when I'm working out with no slowdown. I wonder if in some ways I'll always have noob gains because I don't work out in the summer (when I switch from "desk" job to landscaping job for 5 months - too tired to work out). I could live with that.