Does anyone have problems taking vitamins?

Options
I just bought GNC Womens Ultra Mega Energy & Metabolism. It says to take two a day and I have only taken them for two days now but it makes me feel sick to my stomach and I get all crampy. Do you think it just takes awhile for my body to get used to them or should I discontinue? I was thinking about taking just one a day but not sure.

Do others have this problem too?

Replies

• MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would cut down to one and if this is still going on stop taking them. Diffrent vitimines affect eveyone diffrently.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Check the ingredients as a lot of GNC vitamins have fillers and chemicals added. I was taking the womens vitamin and was getting really sick to my stomach and killer headaches. After some research, I found out how these are not "natural" at all and they use synthetic iron. That's what my body was reacting to. (A lot of womens vitamins load them with iron since we look so much during our periods). I have switched to Alive vitamins. They are all natural, no chemicals, fillers, additves and no synthetic iron! I have had no side effects and feel great!
    Hope this helps! :)
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've heard iron will mess with your system. Maybe try a multi formula w/out iron.
  • michmill98
    Options
    Are you taking them on an empty stomach? I take my vitamins with lunch and they don't bother me. I was taking Arbonne's Women's formula but ran out and switched to NatureMade for Her with a couple of supplements that the Arbonne vitamin packs had more of than NatureMade (I really liked the Arbonne ones but I was dropping $100 a month for vitamins). With the Arbonne vitamins I had to take them with lunch since they were too strong for me first thing in the morning so I just got in the habit of taking my vitamins at lunch.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Vitamins can affect everyone differently. I decided to get a full blood panel done and talk to my doctor and a nutritionist before beginning any supplement regimen. It was REALLY helpful! For me, personally (and this is not gospel, just what works for me), I take an Emerald Labs food rich multi vitamin capsule 3 times a day (with meals) along with a Carlson omega 3 fish oil capsule 3 times a day with meals as well. While the multi-vitamin can vary just depending on your personal body chemistry, from what I've been told by my doctor and nutritionist, and omega-3 fish oil is great for everybody. It's excellent for joint health, your heart, skin, eyes, the list goes on and on.

NatureMade is a really good supplement brand as well. I would definitely make sure you've got something in your stomach first before taking anything. And any vitamins that are a hard pill (Iike Women's 1 a day or Centrum) are pretty much pointless. The glues that hold those types of pills together don't break down fast enough in your body for the nutrients to even be absorbed and you wind up passing them through your digestive system before they even break down. Stick to capsules, or even better, liquid vitamins.