Sausage and pancakes on a STICK?

Options
dmmarie21
dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
Do you remember these from when you were little?

I saw them at the grocery store the other day and almost got them, until I saw the calorie count on the back!

I was wondering if someone a little more creative could come up with a way to make a lighter version. I read recipes online to skewer a sausage link, roll in pancake batter and dip in the deep fryer :grumble: Really want to avoid that route, and am going to use turkey sausage.

I also thought about just skewering the sausage, slathering it in syrup (I use walden farms no cal syrup) and "affixing" the pancake and TADA :flowerforyou: :laugh:

BUT, part of me just doesn't see that working out too well...

So, any ideas?

Replies

• dmmarie21
    Options
    Do you remember these from when you were little?

I saw them at the grocery store the other day and almost got them, until I saw the calorie count on the back!

I was wondering if someone a little more creative could come up with a way to make a lighter version. I read recipes online to skewer a sausage link, roll in pancake batter and dip in the deep fryer :grumble: Really want to avoid that route, and am going to use turkey sausage.

I also thought about just skewering the sausage, slathering it in syrup (I use walden farms no cal syrup) and "affixing" the pancake and TADA :flowerforyou: :laugh:

BUT, part of me just doesn't see that working out too well...

So, any ideas?
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    LOL... it is because of those little devils that i now HAVE to have syrup with my sausage! Gosh those were so yummy... but you're right, they are very heavy in calories.

I think wrapping the pancake around the syrup soaked sausage is the best option... sure, it might not stay on a stick, but it tastes great and isn't as evil as those prepackaged monsters. I have some whole grain pancake mix... You bring the syrup! :flowerforyou:
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an impulsive desire. Wait a while and you'll probably forget you even saw them in the store. I do that all the time. :flowerforyou:
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    Haha, will do! I just read a recipe about using ground sausage and combining everything together and baking it... I don't think that would be as good. And I definitly have to add some blueberries... have to have SOME kind of nutritional value :laugh:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/oven-baked-corn-dogs-recipe/index.html

Here's a link to a recipe for oven baked corn dogs. I'm thinking you can use the same method but with breakfast sausage and pancake batter. Just make the batter a little thicker than normal? My other idea would be to use a cast iron corn stick pan. They're used to make corn bread in the shape of a corn cob. I'm not sure if they would be deep enough, but it might work.
  • passiontyger
    Options
    just a thought but did nt try.skew the turkey sausage ,make some wheat pancake mix batter (for fiber ) dip ur skew sausage in the batter .Then deep frie for 10 sec..Long enough for the batter to slightly cook ,put on grease baking pan. Put the baking pan in 400 pre heated oven and bake until it turn brown . take a tooth pick and stick it to test to c if it full cook(like baking a cake). if done take out the oven then place the pancake stick on a papper towel to cool off.it also soak up the extra grease u dont want. then enjoy ....tell me if u like it.:happy: :cry:
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds like it would work, but, I don't have a deep fryer :grumble: and would hate to use so much oil in a pan just for that LOL. but, one day, when I am at my dad's house visiting, I will use his deep fryer and give it a try :blushing:
  • passiontyger
    Options
    :glasses: cool sound like a plan!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    why don't you just leave the stick out of it and have some pancakes and sausage? I have never heard of these things, other than what must be a relative....the corndog.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    They have them at Sonic!...which means they're really healthy :grumble: :noway:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I